Chatanika Loop

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

Chatanika Loop

#1 Post by paulneva »

What is is about next Saturday's ride that makes it "Intermediate"? The trail, the pace you are going to set, or something else?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

David

Chatinika Loop

#2 Post by David »

Can someone tell me exactly what the Chatinika Loop is?
Thanks

I uasually ride from Cleary Sumit to Chatinika and back. Is thius the loop or is there something I am missing?
Dave

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Good questions,both of them :)

Rating = Intermediate, because some of the trails are or can be steep and icy, usually an easy ride.

Where exactly is the loop, tell you when we ride it :) :)

Seriously, the Chatanika Loop run has always be a "let's meet for breakfast and decide where were going" kind of ride. There are lots of trails out of Chatanika and we usually base our decision on the trail conditions, which as we all know changes every year.

However, this year I would say it's going to be between Family and Intermediate. I talked to Ronnie at Chatanika yesterday (Sat) and he said he and Chuck would "try" and groom us a 40 mile loop and if they can mark it for us.

The tentative loop would go out of Chatanika run into Fox, up along the Elliott for a short bit and up the power line trail and back to Chatanika. It's fairly steep up the power line but not bad really.
Last edited by john on Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

David

Chatinika Loop

#4 Post by David »

Thanks John

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

Hope you all enjoy tomorrow's run, my truck is down so we'll have to pass :(

Dean will be there with the new 120's for anyone who brings there youngun's out :)

Shane

Ride Report

#6 Post by Shane »

My co-leader John Lubben must have over slept on Saturday :lol: , so Ronnie from Chatanika Lodge volunteered to lead the nine of us around the 38 mile loop. It was 5 degrees when we left the lodge and about 25 degrees on top of Cleary Summit. There was just enough snow for Ronnie to groom the lower half of Fairbanks creek trail, the top half has not been groomed but is still in pretty good shape for the 23 inches of snow this year. From there it was a road ride (not much snow) to Pedro Dome were we hopped on another trail (unplowed road) that went around the summit until it ended. Then we took a left down a small trail/trap line and followed the ridges until we came out behind the shooting range at the intersection of the Elliot Highway and Old Murphy Dome road. After a short break we headed down Old Murphy Dome, took a right at the pipeline crossing, then ran down the pipeline a few miles until we came into Chatiniaka Valley and took a right on the old roadbed. (Olnes Pond Road) After we crossed the Elliot again Ronnie had groomed all the way back to the lodge and the riding was fast and fun! The entire ride took only 2 1/2 hours and was an easy 38 miles. Because it was only 12:30pm when we returned, Ronnie took some of the group up top of Haystack. We had 3 new riders join us and I hope that they all enjoyed themselves and they make it to the sweetheart run next weekend. Dean showed up with the club's new 120's for the young kids to ride around a track that Ronnie groomed behind Chatanika Lodge, unfortunately I don't think any children gave them try, unless you count the couple of grown men who had to test them out. Finally I would really like to thank Shirley and Ronnie for all there support of the Snow Travelers. :D

David

#7 Post by David »

Hi shane David here.
The snow and pipe Line pictures are great where were you at with all the powder?
My wife and I was up the Elliot this week end and had a great time but it looks like better snow in the pictures.
Thanks Dave and Terri.
Hope to be on the Sweet heart Run Saturday can anyone tell me how long the trip is?
We ran into somoe open water today up by Rozzie creek on the Tannana not much but hope it freezes a little more.
Dave

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Sounds like an great run, sorry I missed it.

You the Kid on the 120 http://www.fairnet.org/Agencies/FST/PHP ... user_id=51

David, started a new post on the Sweatheart run. Answers to your Q's there.