Nov. 7th : Nome Creek,

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

cleary

Re: Nov. 7th : Nome Creek,

#31 Post by cleary »

irshpryd40 wrote:Well going to do the round about tomorrow. Going to drive towards Paxson and hang a right on Denali then to Cantwell to check on where a nice place to ride this weekend will be. Even if Cantwell does get dumped on I don't think it will be good riding until they have a good base (im a powder hound). The wind blows alot through there and most likely will blow alot of that 16 inches away (been pretty gusty there today and yesturday). Micorps you said it was hard snow up on the flats at Summit? Did you happen to check Black Rapids out when you went that way? Has anyone heard what it is like there?
You better check the condition of the Denali Highway before you head across. There is a winter storm warning for the Susitna Valley near the park with accumulations of 8 to 16 inches. http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/fin ... ct=WEATHER This could close the western end of the Denali Highway if it isn't closed for the season already. You should give the Maclaren Lodge or the Paxson Lodge a call and see what the current status is. There is no state maintenance on the road until April.

Chuck

Summit800

#32 Post by Summit800 »

Although it is VERY tempting to get out there and ride SOMEWHERE, Its usually best to wait untill there is sufficient snow to protect your sled and to reduce the risk of injury. The Lil woman and I are wanting to hit the snow as bad as anybody, but our rule is: At least Knee Deep, (on me) or we dont ride. Dont push it guys, we will get our snow, we ALWAYS Do!

If you do decide to ride the DENALI hWY AREA, take notice of all those bumps in the area, they are reallh hard rocks, sharp too.
You can call Maclaren lodge, the last I heard, they are still driving the hwy, that means NO SNOW.

BE safe out there.

irshpryd40

#33 Post by irshpryd40 »

Yeah I was going to call before I left to make sure. Thanks for the concern though. As far as knee deep lol well it will probably be a while for that.

This guy hasn't gotten to ride since Mar of 2008 due to deployments and sled being stolen last Jan while in Iraq. So the waiting is up. I figure as long as we take it easy we should be ok down at Summit.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#34 Post by john »

If your in the exploratory mood, why not drive to Cantwell and check it out, might be more snow from that end down the Denali Hwy. And if your really in the need, heads towards Talkeetna and Petersville, I believe that is suppose to be the area hit the hardest by the storm = more snow.. Plus its a great place to ride, just a long drive.

At around 135 Mile you'll hit Byers Creek, they have a lodge and are in the State Parks and it may have some great snow as well.

We do expect pictures :e_smile:

irshpryd40

#35 Post by irshpryd40 »

Well the wife has spoken LOL she dosent want to take the risk of driving during the storm so going to postpone the trip for a day. Probably just putter around the North Pole area tomorrow. John I will take pictures just for ya of the riding up here lol

micorps

#36 Post by micorps »

no we just rode summit, like i said, that was alittle harsh riding the tundra, but rideable (If thats a word) once you cross the ravine. i would wait, although i want to ride.

It was alittle treacherous in places. especially getting across and back down the side of the ravine where the sled picks the skier up during acrticman.