28 April - Cantwell

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

28 April - Cantwell

#1 Post by paulneva »

Is anybody planning on making it an overnight and riding Sunday too?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

I think the overnight option is open.

Have to ask Dean as he's leading this one :)

Depending on the snow conditions, not to sure we'll (me and wife) will head back down there.

mountaicat800

#3 Post by mountaicat800 »

I will consider the drive if the snow is good.
2007 M8 153 Arctic Cat Rules

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

I hear it's not :( I'm going to MacLren tomorrow

ktease

#5 Post by ktease »

Hey John, how was the snow to McCLaren? Going on my first "real ride" next weekend. Guess we're driving in a ways to get us closer to 7 mile lakes. More time to play. Going with some people here in Delta. Can't wait. There is no snow to even load up on prior to getting there and we picked someone up form Arcticman last night (didn't go this year either) and most of the snow was really melted down. Made me wonder how it will be in McClaren next weekend. Hope you had a wonderful ride!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Check out the pics at http://www.fairnet.org/Agencies/FST/PHP ... ?cat_id=15

The real skinny. The road isn't opened yet ! DOT is suppose to start plowing it today (Monday), then they have training Tuesday and will work on it more Wed and Thur and then there off till next Monday, so not much time to do a whole lot.

The road from Paxson to 10 mile Denali is decent, but you have to stay on the road, no snow at all to get off. There is (or was) a truck stuck at 3.5 mile Denali, I won't say what I think of this one, but jim-a-ne-cricket, who's that thick headed to drive down the Denali when it hasn't been plowed !

After the first 10 miles on the Denali it gets really bad and you have to drive in the ditch as there still isn't any snow. If your sled overheats quickly plan to make lots of stops and keep an eye on your highfax. You'll have 13 miles of this garbage, you have to keep crossing the road to get where the snow is :( Afterwards you'll be at Tangle Lakes and from here on it's good and just gets better. At MacLaren the snow is excellent and the riding good, make sure you go to the glacier. Some decent hill climbing along the way and areas to play in. If you take the Denali towards Cantwell the snow starts to get windblown and hard packed again, all the way to the Susitna.

The sad side of it is I don't think it'll last :( Saturday when we were on the glacier is had to be 40 above, great for riding but not for the snow.

That's it, my sleds are done for the season. I don't think there'll be enough snow left to bother with until next winter, time to get the ATV's ready for the mud :)

Dean Allen

#7 Post by Dean Allen »

Greetings all,
I was just reviewing the ride schedule. The Cantwell trip is going to have to be cancelled on the 28th. NO snow. The last chance for a ride will be this weekend and it would have to be in Summit where it is scheduled. I was going to put my machines away but will reconsider if there is enough interest. This would definitly be the last ride of the year if we take it. Judging from Arctic Man weekend there may be some snow back in a ways but it will be soft and punchy in the afternoon. Where to go is a question mark. A lot depends on which creeks have opened up. I will need to get a head count of those that want to go so I can figure out what to do. Depending on the plowing on the Denali we may be able to trailer in and ride out of McLaren area. Wolverine may be an option as well. I will need to know by tomorrow at the meeting which is being held at Compeaus.
Thanks
Dean

Dean Allen

#8 Post by Dean Allen »

Greetings,
The ride for this weekend is cancelled.
Thanks
Dean