Rides for 2007/2008 Season

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Rides for 2007/2008 Season

#1 Post by john »

At last nights board meeting we decided to drop all the repeated rides. So what does this means---

Simple, we need some ride ideas form the membership.

We'll keep some of those that we didn't make do to weather, i.e. overnighter in the White Mountains.

But other than that, post your thoughts. It's time we saw some new country :)

Ideas we considered included an early commitment for an overnighter at McLaen Lodge, ride back into the *beep* in Livengood, riding off the Elliott just this side of the Yukon River, and a treasure hunt or something in the Tanana Flats.

Comments and other ideas are needed..

paulneva

#2 Post by paulneva »

"all the repeated rides." No more "sweet heart" run to Nenana? No more spring time rides in Cantwell? Is that really what you meant?

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

The Sweatheart and out-of-town rides will be repeated, we were thinking more of the local runs. Chena Hot Springs, Nome Creek, etc. We want to replace those that we've done year after year will some new ones.

I know that a lot of us would like a change, especially the leaders. But of course on your rides when you lead :<) we can go lots of places in the flats :) and thought maybe we could add to some rides in flats, maybe a hunt of some sort. Some with GPS some with large orange colored ammo cans that you don't need a GPS you find.

We'll go over it at the next membership meeting in more detail.

Darrell

Dreaming of next season already

#4 Post by Darrell »

1 Blair Lake How about a run out to the lake? anyone have drill? No ice road next year so more trail riding. Some more riding in the lake area. 2 Day run to Salcha River Lodge and back. 3 overnight to Rochester's lodge. 4 club rents cabin from some one for a salcha river run 5 Day at Quartz lake.

paulneva

#5 Post by paulneva »

Just a thought; it seems to me that we get the biggest turnout for rides that go somewhere where someone can buy lunch; for example, our first ride to Angel Creek and our last ride to Chatanika last winter. I have offered to lead a ride to Skinny Dick’s next winter, (Please be sure to schedule that for a date when they will be open.) and there are at least two different routes to Chatanika.

But personally, I prefer rides in the wilderness. I know the north western part of the Tanana Flats pretty well now, but have never ridden the eastern part of the Tanana Flats and have never ridden in the Minto Flats at all.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Off the top of my head:

Nenana run to Moderosa (Sweetheart)

Cantwell run(s) in the spring

McLaren Run (March/April)

Chatanika Run from Goldstream Valley

White Mountains (Overnighter)

Tanana Flats Treasure Hunt (with kitchen for lunch)

Blair Lakes

Quartz Lake

Chena Lakes to Dean's cabin (Day run)

I'll look at my notes and update this, maybe make it a separate post and add to as we go.

paulneva

#7 Post by paulneva »

I like your May 16 list. Possible additions:

The Chatanika loop.

Skinny Dick's from Compeau's.

It would be a pretty short ride, but if anybody is interested, I could show you the way from Compeaus to the top of Ester Dome.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

Darrell

more idea's

#8 Post by Darrell »

Loop run Two Rivers to fire break trail, down compeau trail, back to chena hot spring back to 2 river Bar.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Thank you gentleman, keep them coming.

I'll do a compiled update after the July board meeting.

Alaskan Polar Bear

ride on

#10 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

A ride I would like to do is from murphy dome to the tolovana hotsprings 43 miles away, Steve that drives the Mac tool truck made the trip 3 times lastyear, just a thought
another one that might be fun is a group go down the rich to paxson head toward the parks while a group heads in from the parks hiway
. at some point swap keys and continue on with each group getting to the other end and heading home and swaping again.

tony
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

Alaskaman100

#11 Post by Alaskaman100 »

You could do a 30 mile loop from Murphy Dome down to the lower landing on the Chatanika (15 miles), possible sideloop to Washington Creek, then upstream to 7 mile or Blueberry, then back to the Dome. Start and finish at your truck. You could coordinate with Ralf at 1st Alaska Outdoor (lives on the river just north of Murphy Dome) to provide a guide and a warmup on the river.

http://www.1stalaskaoutdoorschool.com/

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

Alaskaman, Interesting ride. We'll have to explore it this winter and check it out.

It'd have to be after freeze up of course.