Feb 6th and 7th

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Feb 6th and 7th

#1 Post by john »

So fearless leader, you still leading a ride in Cantwell on the 6th and 7th ?

Are we still going to Depart from Killer Smoke Café at 9:30 AM ?

I might go down, but thinking about farther south, like the Igloo or Hurricane area.

REVITUP

Re: Feb 6th and 7th

#2 Post by REVITUP »

with the lack of snow, meaning I didn't get a chance to go down and ride there, and the fact I have an ankle full of metal and staples, the answer is no. I rolled my ankle last week and broke it, yes, same leg as last year, so it will cancel a few rides for me. I never got the chance to contact DNR about the 17b easement either, I would recommend that be done before any club ride down there. Sorry I didn't get to let everyone know sooner, I have been a little "out of it".

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Bummer.....

I'll send an email out to the FST list and depending on who replies to that and here I might be up for leading a ride.

However, the meet up point will be different, either from the parking spot at the turn around of the Denali Hwy (Denali Hwy maintenance end point) or else south of the Igloo, haven't decided and it depends on who all wants to go and where.

So speak up folks !!!

DrMartiniX

#4 Post by DrMartiniX »

REVITUP wrote:with the lack of snow, meaning I didn't get a chance to go down and ride there, and the fact I have an ankle full of metal and staples, the answer is no. I rolled my ankle last week and broke it, yes, same leg as last year, so it will cancel a few rides for me. I never got the chance to contact DNR about the 17b easement either, I would recommend that be done before any club ride down there. Sorry I didn't get to let everyone know sooner, I have been a little "out of it".
:cry:

Sorry to hear that! hope it all heals well!
Zach
Mr. President,
I'LL KEEP MY GUNS, MONEY AND FREEDOM... YOU KEEP THE CHANGE

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

Here's what I just send out via the club list, for those of you not on the list
The scheduled Cantwell is in need of a leader.

Jody broke her ankle and is unable to lead the ride as scheduled.

Anyone interested in going ? If so, I may lead a ride if I get replies to this email or posts on the web site.

Two Options:

First is to meet south of the Igloo at the turn out / parking area and take the Mine road in.

Second is to meet on the Denali Hwy where the road maintenance stops and ride from there.

Let me know what you all want to do or don't.
My preference would be to go a bit farther south, say down to 165 mile. I know the snow is better there and the temps are always warmer. It also give us a good mix of riding for both trail and powder sleds. Problem is there's no place to stay or eat, I'll be driving the Motorhome down, or plan to for now if I can get the furnace to run right while driving :lol:

If not, it may be Cantwell with a room at the backwoods, if they have any available, or possible Adventure Denali.

I await replies..... One way or the other I'm headed south to go ride.

bigsnow800

#6 Post by bigsnow800 »

4 of us were at the Igloo yesterday. We went 4.5 miles into the area to the left ponds and rolling hills it was getting pretty well used up. There were about 8 more trucks in the lot just past the Igloo. I think most of the riders went further to the mine hills.

David

#7 Post by David »

Does anyone know about the snow up the white mountain area, say 57 mile colorado creek or the steese 57 mile Nome creek area, I haven't had time to get out so far but me and mom are ready if the temps stay up a little?
Thanks
Dave and Terri
YAMAHA RIDERS(4stroke)

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Bigsnow : Thanks for the update, one reason I'm thinking about going a bit farther south. I know the snow is much better down the road. I have a place in mind 8) That I'll head to that has (so far as I've seen) the best snow this year. Just no place to stay or eat.

David : Not to good, the BLM Trail Report is dated, but they haven't groomed do to a lack of snow :bangin:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Replies to those who've asked:

If I go it'll be for both days. Was thinking I'd like to go to Mile 165 Parks (give or take), that's roughly 35 miles south of Cantwell.

I know of an access point by a turn out that heads towards Chulitna and what looks to be some great riding. Of course I haven't ridden the area, so I'm guessing on that. I know the snow is good, but we'd have to explore the area.

There's a turn out there (or in close proximity to that) on the right side of the road. This is where I'll be parking if others are coming down. What I can say for sure is that you go pass the railroad crossing at 169 mile Parks and look for the pull out on the right a few miles down the road.

The grandson and I will be in the White/Brown 27 foot Class C motorhome with trailer attached.

This does depend on whether or not I get the furnace running first, last trip out got a bit cold with no heat in the coach while driving.

dirtyrice

#10 Post by dirtyrice »

A buddy of mine wants to come along to Cantwell this weekend, but he rides a short tracked thundercat. Think he will be allright at Cantwell with the 121" track? Not sure if its going to be all off trail riding or not. I'm up for offtrail but its probably not a good idea with his sled.

Wherever you are parking John, thats where I'll be. See you Saturday!

irshpryd40

#11 Post by irshpryd40 »

I rode Cantwell last Wednesday and Thursday. The snow there is awesome. You have to go to the Igloo or south though. We made it back to Dunkel Mine and rode above there for a day. A 121" would not be a good idea unless you pan on digging them out all day.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

Where I'm planning on going "might" have a trail to get us back in to the hills, the 121 might make it back there. Does he have stock paddles or ? Short tracks can do it with some paddle, say 1 and 1/4 and lots of gas since he won't be able to let off the throttle :shockedeye:

The g-son will be ridding the wifes 136 with 1 and 1/4 paddles and know that'll make it.

Just tell him (guy on 121) to bring a shovel...

irshpryd40

#13 Post by irshpryd40 »

John,
Is this going to be a club ride? Also where are we meeting up? Is this going to be a 2 day ride as well?

irshpryd40

#14 Post by irshpryd40 »

John,
Also I rode the mine trail out to the Dunkel Mine area and the river is frozen over. The trail is really bumpy. There is a well defined trail on the river though. One open spot of water to cross which is maybe 3 inches deep so not bad at all. I always park at the turnout just south of the Igloo. Not sure but I did hear that the Igloo parking lot has been getting alot of tickets for parking there.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

irshpryd40 wrote:John,
Is this going to be a club ride? Also where are we meeting up? Is this going to be a 2 day ride as well?
As it stands, yes it will be a club ride, but not a trail ride. Last year my Panther with 1 & 1/4 paddles barely made it where I'm hoping to go when we rode untouched snow :thumbleft: Of course the snows not as deep this year as last. I'd say Crossfire would have no problem, a regular trail sled would. A 121 with some paddles should be OK, but the rider had better plan to keep on the throttle. I say this as a 121 most likely isn't as heavy or as hard to turn as a regular trail sled.

Yes on 2 days with Option 1, maybe with Option 2, read below.

Depending on work progress on my motorhome we have 2 options to meet.

Option 1: I'll be staying in motorhome at Mile 165 Parks (give or take), that's roughly 35 miles south of Cantwell. I plan to drive down Friday after work.

Option 2: I'll be staying somewhere in Cantwell, probable Backwoods Lodge, if they have room available and we'll meet up in the AM and drive to Mile 169. Since its a 35 mile drive, I'd say we meet at Killer Smoke at 8:00 AM or as soon as they open for breakfast. I have to eat before I go ride all day, must be getting old :big_grin:

I'll post Friday which option we'll go with.

I'd like to stay away from the Igloo and Mine road, its gotten lots of traffic, has limited parking and probable beat to H E double L by now. I don't think there has been many folks where I plan to go (fingers crossed).