Nov. 7th : Nome Creek,

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nov. 7th : Nome Creek,

#16 Post by john »

Christien&Shelbye wrote:BLM posted an update to trail conditions for the Whites. Not looking good. I sure see a ton of tracks around town; must be old trail sleds cause there's deff not enuf snow for a mountain sled.
Impatient kids that don't have t pay for the repairs :shockedeye:

We have two days and it getting cloudy.... Keep dancing and hope for a big dump tomorrow or Friday :thumbleft:

cleary

#17 Post by cleary »

paulneva wrote:Chuck,

It is your ride. Is it cancelled yet? :needsnow:

Paul
Yep, it's cancelled. I just got back from driving up there a half hour ago and there's less snow there than here. Drove up to the summit of the US Creek road and took some pictures looking down into Nome Creek. Here they are. The forecast for the next few days is just flurries and I'd say we need at the very least a foot more of snow. :cry: Guess I'll stick with my 4-wheeler for while.

Chuck

COS

#18 Post by COS »

Thanks Chuck!
Thank you for the post, photos and doing the recon run up there. I didn't make it to 101 last weekend do to the wind reports.
In the future as I head up that direction I'll take some happy snaps & post a report.
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

irshpryd40

#19 Post by irshpryd40 »

It isn't just us. It seems the whole state is lacking in snow. I just got back from Anchorage and they have Zero snow on the ground! When I flew in you could still see the rocks on most of the mountains! It is horrible this year. We go from a great year of snow last year to this. It is still early in the season and lets just hope the weather man is right about this week and it snows all week! Sorry I won't be able to make the ride on the 14th. There are a few of us going to go down to Summit/Paxson area and try and get up to the platoes and find some snow. :dunno: :dunno:

cleary

#20 Post by cleary »

Here's some links to weather cams and stations around the state where you can check conditions.

RWIS Site up here on Cleary Summit: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roadwe ... &siteId=29

Here is a link to the FAA's South East weather cams. http://akweathercams.faa.gov/sitelist.php

the "Isabel" south looking cam shows Fielding Lake and the area around Summit Lake on the Richardson Highway.

The "Summit" cams show the area north and south of the old Summit Flight Service Station just south of Cantwell on the Parks Highway.

Here is a link to our state DOT Road Weather Information System that gives weather reports and cams at different locations around the state: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roadwe ... xForm.html

Here is a link to all kinds of cams around the state: http://www.akmining.com/webcams.htm

Maclaren Lodge, mile 42 Denali Highway web cam: http://www.maclarenlodge.com/webcam.htm

Chuck

micorps

#21 Post by micorps »

irshpryd40 wrote:It isn't just us. It seems the whole state is lacking in snow. I just got back from Anchorage and they have Zero snow on the ground! When I flew in you could still see the rocks on most of the mountains! It is horrible this year. We go from a great year of snow last year to this. It is still early in the season and lets just hope the weather man is right about this week and it snows all week! Sorry I won't be able to make the ride on the 14th. There are a few of us going to go down to Summit/Paxson area and try and get up to the platoes and find some snow. :dunno: :dunno:
I went down to Paxson/Summit yesterday, nearly no snow across the tundra, but enough snow to ride once you cross the ravine, which was severely rocky also. Had to take it really slow. But here are some photos once we made it. The snow was hard. the first photo is the parking area looking up, needs about 1-2 ft at the minimum.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by john »

Nice pics, got any skags left on your ski's :tounge: I'm just Jealous I didn't go with you all.

It's suppose to snow 8 to 16 inches between Broad Pass and Talkeetna today, cross your fingers it moves this way as well.

For those that don't know, Broad Pass is about 10 miles south of Cantwell.

micorps

#23 Post by micorps »

John, you had to be careful, but the tundra didnt harm the skags just the rocks in the ravine where the sled picks the skier up in the arctic man race, yeah this was a trial run.

Polostroke

#24 Post by Polostroke »

Where exactly is this? I'm new to riding Alaska and was going to head up to Eagle Summit tomorrow (The snow was good there last week) but with the forecast for Broad Pass looking like it does, I'd rather be there. Where is the parking lot and which way do you go to cross the ravine and get to the hills?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by john »

Two separate areas.

Broad Pass is south on the Parks Hwy, just head towards Cantwell on the Parks to mile marker 200 or so.

Where micorps and company were playing is south on the Richardson Hwy, again, head south and go to Paxson. Summit lake on the Rich is about 15 miles I believe before you get to Paxson.

Polostroke

#26 Post by Polostroke »

There lies my confusion, there is a "Summit" right at Cantwell, I'm very familiar with that area... I worked for Denali Nat Park for several years. The FAA calls that summit, even google maps thinks Summit is at Cantwell. I was wondering why everyone was calling it "Paxson/Summit" makes more sense now. So is there any snow at Cantwell, that area should get pounded tomorrow. If no, mabey I will go to the "other side"... Thoughts?

cleary

#27 Post by cleary »

While there is a Summit Lake as well as the old Summit Airstrip just south of Cantwell that area is usually referred to as Cantwell. Summit Lake on the Richardson Highway is the area generally referred to as Summit. It is just a mile south of Isabel Pass where the Arctic Man Race is held and where we sled when we go to Summit.

Hope this helps,

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Post by john »

Polostroke wrote: So is there any snow at Cantwell, that area should get pounded tomorrow. If no, mabey I will go to the "other side"... Thoughts?
Chucked summed it up pretty good I think, as for snow fall, we'll see. If the predictions are correct and Cantwell (or points south) get their 16 inches, might be better riding.

I'm hoping we get dump on up here by this weekend and save a drive :)

micorps

#29 Post by micorps »

Summed up very well, I wouldnt drive to Summit (Paxson) until they get at least another foot or two. We had to drive all the way where the creek is froze over and cross minimal snow before we made it to the snow. From what I heard, blue skies there today so no snow. I would like to see Fairbanks get dumped on, summit was a drive.

irshpryd40

#30 Post by irshpryd40 »

Well going to do the round about tomorrow. Going to drive towards Paxson and hang a right on Denali then to Cantwell to check on where a nice place to ride this weekend will be. Even if Cantwell does get dumped on I don't think it will be good riding until they have a good base (im a powder hound). The wind blows alot through there and most likely will blow alot of that 16 inches away (been pretty gusty there today and yesturday). Micorps you said it was hard snow up on the flats at Summit? Did you happen to check Black Rapids out when you went that way? Has anyone heard what it is like there?