Need help with an old El Tigre

Oldies Only

Moderator: john

RichardMXZ800

Need help with an old El Tigre

#1 Post by RichardMXZ800 »

I've been working on a 1974 295 el tigre and I'm still having the same trouble: I keep flooding the clutch side. I rebuilt the top end and compression is good. 120 and 118. I suspected the crank seals and last night pulled the motor and replaced them. The crank and bearings looked good and with new seals and gasket material, she's sealed up. I have gone through the carbs several times and everythings looks right and seems to be functioning. Chokes are set right also. I did get it runing last night and when I could get it up to a certian RPM the other cylinder would fire but as soon as I backd off the throttle, back to running on one cylinder. Goofy as it may sound, I'm on the hunt today for some Champion N2 plugs. It has great spark on both sides and to be honest I am just plain stumped. I keep thinking that it's just carburation but I have set them by the service manual and gone through them several times. Any ideas?

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Need help with an old El Tigre

#2 Post by john »

RichardMXZ800 wrote: I have gone through the carbs several times and everythings looks right and seems to be functioning. Chokes are set right also.
Did you replace the needle when you went through the carbs ? Might also check the rubber cap/bladder whatever it's called. Had one that was all stretched out once and it caused all kinds of problems. I'd do a complete rebuild on the carbs. Cost is fairly cheap.

RichardMXZ800

#3 Post by RichardMXZ800 »

No, I didn't replace the needle, just removed and cleaned. I keep circling back to the enrichment valve (choke plungers) though. I'm just not convince they are right. I'd sure like to get it right before Tired Iron but if not... heck there's always next year and I will not be pressed for time!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

When you do get it, let us know what it turned out to be.

Wickedperf

#5 Post by Wickedperf »

Replace the needles. try removing the choke cable from the lever too, just let it hang and see what happens
My wifes sled is faster than YOURS!!

RichardMXZ800

#6 Post by RichardMXZ800 »

I did attend Tired Iron but not as a racer. I tried unhooking the chokes but that made no difference. I replaced the needles and thought maybe the seat gasket for the inlet needed might be the culprit but no such luck. At that point I considered dragging it out back, throwing some gas on it, then a match and sit back and watch it burn. Instead, I decided to tear it down once more. The seals on both sides of the crank looked good, as did the cranks center o-rings. However, upon closer examination with a magnifying glass, the clutch side seal (teflon) had a crack in it. I picked up another seal today and put it back together after work and it started and ran like a champ. At least I'll have it ready for next years tired iron. I've loaded a picture on the photo album.

TheBearAk

Re: Need help with an old El Tigre

#7 Post by TheBearAk »

For future reference: swapping the carbs would have told you if it was in the carbs or someplace else.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583