Chatanika Trail

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

semisane

Chatanika Trail

#1 Post by semisane »

A buddy and myself went out to Chatanika on Saturday after Thanksgiving with our sleds just to see if there was any snow out there.

We got our sleds warmed up a touch too late so we didn't get out until after dark, but we ran the red trail for maybe 5-7 miles or so, and there is enough snow for it to be enjoyable. We plan on going back out again this weekend because it's the only place that we know of with at least some snow/trails.

I also took the trail that goes around the dredge pond and that's in subpar condition. If there were 2 more inches out there, it'd be perfect. I was hitting alot of rocks and whatnot on my skis...

Anyway, thought I'd share this info.

-Gary

YamahaMountain

#2 Post by YamahaMountain »

Sounds like you guys had a good time, I can't wait to get some riding in!
A.K.A "98/02SRX"

05 RX-1 Mountain-Mine
02 SRX-Mine
98 SRX Mountain-Wife's
05 Kodiak 450

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Humm, might try Nome Creek (U.S. Creek Road) at 57 mile Steese, might have a bit more snow and be less rocks to dodge.

Summit is still the best riding so far.

The Denali Hwy is open, to vehicle traffic that is, the snow they had on got blown off by the wind. I hear folks are driving 2 wheel drive rigs to McLaren Lodge.

COS

#4 Post by COS »

I drove the US Creek road into the north campground on Thanksgiving. I few machines have been running the road and ditches. One could off-load right at the Steese then run 19 miles into the Nome Creek camp ground back to the north campground (another 18 miles). Then back to the Steese for a total of 42 miles.
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

Did you check out any of the trails off the road ?

I'd imagine that the upper trail is wind blown and all rock :(