Cantwell, 29-30 April

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

Cantwell, 29-30 April

#1 Post by paulneva »

If anybody would like to share costs, I have a room (Backwoods Lodge) with a spare bed and an empty space on my trailer. I will be driving down Friday afternoon and driving home Sunday aternoon. You can e-mail me at paulneva@acsalaska.net.

Dean, my vote is for doing Caribou Lakes on Saturday. I have tried to get to Caribou Lakes once before, and we had some really stuck machines to dig out. It was a long day. I would much rather do that on Saturday than on Sunday.
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

I was going to post on the ride so folks wouldn't forget, thanks Paul for beating me to it :)

Were meeting at the Cantwell Lodge @ 9:00 AM for breakfast on Saturday.

I say we do Caribou Lake on Saturday as well, of course it will depend on weather conditions. I don't think we'll have as much of a "gett'n stuck" issue as previously. Wife and I were there on the 15thand 16th and a good crust had built up. Of course if you fell through the crust....

Anyway, were driving down Sat AM, so if I'm late for breakfast wait for me :) I don't think I have to worry about pipes freezing. 8)

Dean Allen

Cantwell ride this weekend

#3 Post by Dean Allen »

Greetings,
Please let us know if you are planning on going to Cantwell for the club ride this weekend. I have reserved a room at the Backwoods Lodge for my family on Saturday night. We will drive down Saturday morning. I have received two ride reports from last weekend.

Report #1
rode out of the Igloo on Saturday. Went straight across the highway and worked south. Snow was DEEP and if you weren't an experienced rider and on a good mountain machine you were not going anywhere. Started raining in the afternoon and all riders were soaked when they returned to the trucks.

Report #2
Rode out of mile 196. Went south into the Dunkels. Large group of 16 ranging from 10 year old kids to adult experienced riders, male and female. Snow was soft but not punchie. Beautiful weather, no rain. Rode all day long with no problems and had a great trip. The creek crossings were all still in good shape.

I've been watching the weather for Cantwell and it looks like Saturday is going to be partly cloudy and the best day of the weekend. Sunday is calling for snow. I will plan on going into Caribou Lakes on Saturday to take advantage of the sun. Hopefully the trail into Caribou is still in good shape. It crosses and travels up a creek at times so hopefully the creek is still solid. We will reserve Sunday for the Dunkels. If the weather socks us in then we will travel in the trees from mile 196. Bottom line is its a bit of a crap shoot going down. Weather reports are for 16 degrees at night and 40 degrees during the day most all week.

Please let me know if your planning on going so we can get an idea of the group size.

Dean Allen

#4 Post by Dean Allen »

Updated weather report for Cantwell

Saturday - Mostly cloudy
Sunday - Snow

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

COunt me and Trish for being there

paulneva

Cantwell, 29-30 April

#6 Post by paulneva »

I am still planning on being there. I will be at the Backwoods Lodge.
Paul S. Renschen

Dean Allen

#7 Post by Dean Allen »

Weather predictions were looking better this morning but this afternoon it looks like weather prediction is taking a turn for the worst. Calling for 30% chance of snow Sat. and 40% on Sun. with no sun showing on either day. It changes rapidly. I will update again tomorrow.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Do you do early morning updates, say around 4:00 AM Sat... :lol:

Dean Allen

#9 Post by Dean Allen »

4am? I'm beginning to question your sanity.

Updated Cantwell weather report, 04/28/06 7:32am

Sunny skies for Saturday and Sunday. Highs between 35 & 40, lows 18 to 20.

As long as the snow is still in good condition we should have a good ride.