Let us know what the weather (hopefully snow fall) is like in your area

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Conditions South

#1 Post by john »

From one of the guys with NLSC
Friday we went to Summit and there is crap snow there. A couple of Caribou herds to look at but that is about it. If you want a broke sled from hitting rocks then this is the place to go.

Cantwell has about 2 foot of snow south of the Igloo. Maybe a little more. Didn't ride there, just drove through. South of there it gets a little deeper, however, you can watch four wheelers driving next to the road.
The only placeI know of with decent snow is at Turnagain Pass, 40 miles south of Anchorage.

:wall:

Summit800

Re: Conditions South

#2 Post by Summit800 »

My son and a few buddies went to Summit on Saturday. Found 4 feet of snow behind the tit, only a foot on the hill to get there though, Have pictures, cant upload, beyond my limited computer skills.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

I want pictures... Expand your horizons.... email me for directions if you want.

Summit800

#4 Post by Summit800 »

Ask and you shall recieve.

The tit.jpg

dirtyrice

#5 Post by dirtyrice »

Were you scraping rocks a lot on the way up? The forecast is calling for another 6-8 inches of snow by tomorrow for that area. I'm thinking of heading down this weekend.

On another note, it sounds like Cantwell isnt bad now either. NOAA website is forecasting upwards of 30 inches in the next 48 hours there.

irshpryd40

#6 Post by irshpryd40 »

Cantwell still has no snow. Check the weather cam at the FAA towers and you will see http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.php

I went to Summit a few weekends ago and it was horrible. Scraping rocks was the half of it. The hills were dirt so we didnt even bother trying to get out towards the "tit" to find snow. I would give summitt a good two weeks or so just to get the big rocks covered. The problem with Summit and Cantwell is that when they do get snow along with that is high wind speeds. So when it says 18 inches that is total and then the wind blows it away. The weather for today and tomorrow are calling for High winds. By the look of the FAA tower they havent gotten any of that big storm they were talking about.

Sorry not trying to be the bearer of bad news. Maybe some day before the end of the year they will get enough snow to go and bomb some powder.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

Anybody heard how MacLaren is doing ? Their web cam doesn't show a lot :<(

http://www.maclarenlodge.com/webcam.htm

Wife and I may drive south towards Talkeetna for the X-Mas holidays. I just might take the whole week and keep driving till I find something to play in.

usafracer

#8 Post by usafracer »

I called them last Wed. and they had nothing.

REVITUP

#9 Post by REVITUP »

I spoke with Susie today, still not much there either. She says the "Snow Gods" are mad, I think they are in Cabo on the beach, drinking Mai Tai's delivered by a cute cabana boy!

mit

#10 Post by mit »

REVITUP wrote:I spoke with Susie today, still not much there either. She says the "Snow Gods" are mad, I think they are in Cabo on the beach, drinking Mai Tai's delivered by a cute cabana boy!
So they "the snow gods" are smarter than us! To *beep* with them, :needsnow: I'm staying in the cold! :brrr: :lol:
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!