Denali Hwy - Weather and Note of Caution

Let us know what the weather (hopefully snow fall) is like in your area

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Denali Hwy - Weather and Note of Caution

#1 Post by john »

The weather in the Maclaren Valley has been holding steady, no new snow to report.
The trial from Paxson to Maclaren is in good shape. Just be careful and watch for these spots. At 30 mile there is a series of drifts that might catch you off guard if you were not aware of them.

From Maclaren to Cantwell, the trail is in good shape, still some skinny spots when you start off at Cantwell, but plenty doable.

Now that we have had some cooler weather, -1 this morning, the lakes and larger rivers have frozen good. Be careful of the smaller streams, they have some wicked ice ledges building up.

Folks, we had a very unfortunate and avoidable accident on the Denali Hwy this last weekend. Two snowmachiners racing side by side down the highway, hit a dog teem that was traveling the other direction. In the process of this horrific accident, the snowmachine closest to the dog teem snagged one of the dogs in the teem pulling it out of its harness and killing it instantly.

I am really at a loss for anything intelligent to say about something so stupid. We are not using a narrow little trail to play on, but rather a 20 foot wide HWY that should leave all kinds of room for everyone. In my opinion, it does not matter what the circumstances were. If you are unable to control your vehicle, then you are at fault!!!!

I know that I am talking to a majority of very responsible riders and winter enthusiast, but if there is a chance that you know someone that is not, please drill it into them, that it takes very few acts of stupidity like this one, too ruin our sport for everyone. Please!!!!!!! Remember we are not the only ones that want to enjoy Alaska’s winters.

Our hearts go out to this musher who lost his dog. As many of us know, these dogs become more to the mushers then just a work animal. They become their pets, companions and best friends.

And to all the mushers that get this, please don’t forget to use your headlamps to warn snowmachiners of where you are. You are just about impossible to see without them.

Take Care and we look forward to seeing you on the trail!!!!

Alan Echols
Vice President – Denali Highway Trail Club