Post any racing schedules that you know of

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

2015 Iron Dog

#1 Post by john »

Hi fellow Snow Travelers,

Many of you already got this via email, but here it is for those that didn't and an update of volunteers.

The Iron Dog starts Feb 21st and is scheduled to end in downtown Fairbanks on Sat Feb 28th.

We'll need some help staffing the office during the week of Feb 20th through the 28th. It’s a lot of hours for two people and some additional help would sure be appreciated.

Trail work will begin during the week of Monday Feb, 23rd or sooner if weather allows.

We have five (5) basic trail sections:

1. Tanana River from Nenana to the Mouth of the Chena;
2. Tanana River from the Mouth of the Chena to the Flood way Dike at the Flood Control Project;
3. Across the Flood Control Project to the Chena River by the dam;
4. Chena River from the dam to Nordale Bridge.
5. Nordale Bridge to the finish will be staked by the finish line crew.

What we would like to do is start setting the trail. The first section should be OK and we'll check it out during the FST's Sweetheart run, Feb 15th.

If we can get the other sections tracked on Monday through Wed of race week, then run it all on Friday or Saturday (finish day) and set stakes.

Ideally, we could use a minimum of 4 crews of at least two each for each section. I'll be working the Flood Control section to set up the fueling station and working with our sponsors for BBQing Free Hot Dogs and drinks :<)

Steve Nolan has volunteered in the past to stake the first section, however he may not be able to this year. So any volunteers for this are appreciated. Heck, you can ride to Nenana have a Mondo burger and come back :<)

Steve and Nicole will be staffing the Fuel Depot during race day and helping with the staking through the Floodway.

We'll need help in staking from the Chena Lake Dam to the Nordale Bridge section on Saturday 2/28 starting at 8:00 AM. Prefer 2 riders for this section.

We still need a couple folks to run and stake on the Tanana from the mouth of the Chena River to the Flood way Dike as well as some additional help for the other 3 sections.

Please let me know if you’re willing and able to help out. This is our sport and your help is very much appreciated.

Thanks

UPDATE:

Steve Miresse and Mike Armstrong have offered to stake the Tanana from Nenana to the mouth of the Chena River if Steve N. isn't able to. If he is (Steve N) then they'll stake the section from the Chena to the Floodway.

Steve and Nicole will be working the North Pole Fuel point with me again and staking the Floodway between the Tanana and Chena.

Jason has offered to help as well and will be staking the Chena from the Dam to the Nordale bridge. Could use another rider to go with him so I can concentrate on the fuel point and Foodway.

My plan is to start running a groomer on the Floodway between the Tanana and Chena as of the 16th. With the lack of overall snowfall theres a lot of brush showing, the groomer should knock it down. So I may placed a few stakes up to help mark the trail as I go in case it does snow more before the 28th.

Finally note for today, Crowley is sponsoring the North Pole Fuel point this year and BBQing free hot dogs, so come on out and enjoy the food while the racers run by.

(Larry, as hot dog king you should be present to make sure they have the cooking down right) :devilsmile:

Nick S

Re: 2015 Iron Dog

#2 Post by Nick S »

I can help Jason stake from the dam up to Nordale...since I live pretty close to the flood control project anyway. I will need to be done and back by early evening, since I need to attend the riders meeting for the Tired Iron on the 1st.
2015 Bearcat 2000XT
1989 Arctic Cat Cougar 500
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Thanks Nick

Are you going on the Sweetheart run in the 15th ?

Hoping to get with everyone then if possible.

If not, the Dam to Nordale needs to be done early Saturday (2/28), before 11:00 AM or so. It could also be done Friday (2/27) afternoon.

This section usually only takes a few hours, so a 9:00AM start would give you plenty of time to run and stake it.

jasjew

#4 Post by jasjew »

I might not be able to mark this year. I asked for the week off and I just looked at the schedule and I have to work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. I'm going to try to switch shifts to make it work.

Nick,

I will keep you posted. Friday morning would work the best for me if I can get the schedule changed.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

Hey Nick,

Bummer on the schedule, but if Jason can do it staking the Dam to Nordale Bridge on Friday works. We'll see about times after Sunday's run.

I'm taking Thursday and Friday off of work so I can fill in any place that needs it.

Thanks

larry morris

#6 Post by larry morris »

Hey John,
We can talk on Sunday. I can take a few days off to help.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

Thanks Larry

Nick S

#8 Post by Nick S »

Jason and John,

Sorry to hear about the schedule...but I do believe I have that Thursday to Sunday off (need to double check the schedule), so Friday morning should work for me. I will be going on the sweetheart run on Sunday, so we can discuss more about it then.

~Nick
2015 Bearcat 2000XT
1989 Arctic Cat Cougar 500
1979 Yamaha Enticer 300