Jan 6, 2018 Ride Report

How was the riding where you went

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Jan 6, 2018 Ride Report

#1 Post by john »

Going through my emails and saw this ride report from Tim on the Jan 6th ride to Cache Mtn while I was out of town, so not to let Tim's writing skills go to waste, here's his report.

Jan 6th, 2018

We had five riders head out on the trail to Cache Mountain Cabin in the White Mountains N.R.A. from mile 42.5 on the Steese Highway. We started the expedition with breakfast at the Chatanika Lodge, longtime supporters of the Fairbanks Snow Travelers. We were waiting outside when Ronnie opened at 0900 sharp Shirley came out and visited with us, too. There was another group of Snow Travelers heading up to 12-Mile Summit to see if they could find some deep snow.

The five machines included four Skidoos and one Arctic Cat with an oddball rider. The parking lot at 42 Mile was plugged up, so we went to the next pull-off a mile further up the road. The ride was uneventful to the Cache Mountain Cabin, though things got a bit chilly in the valley bottoms. The Arctic Cat guy was pulling a 10-foot Seglin sled in hopes of filling a caribou tag and left the sled at the cabin. We headed up the trail to the divide where we spotted our only wildlife of the ride: a dead marten in a trap. We made it to the divide and only had to push the Cat out of one of the deep crick crossings on the way out. On the way back, the cat needed help twice. But one of the Skidoo’s had some sympathy and asked for help too!

As we rode past the cabin on the way back, I contemplated traveling from the Cache Mountain Cabin to Richards Cabin. It would be a nice day-loop trail, maybe an overnight ride next year, to scout it out Who wants to go?

We got back to the trucks with just enough light to load up and head back to town total miles on my machine 65.8. Another successful Snow Travelers adventure in the record book and no broken machines or people!

Want to go on a ride, lead it! We will follow.

Tim Berg
004.JPG
006.JPG
007.JPG
011.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.