Bonnifield trail

How was the riding where you went

Moderator: john

Mangi

Bonnifield trail

#1 Post by Mangi »

So I have played around on the bonnifield tail to within about 20 miles of the mountains but haven't been there the past few seasons. I have been told that it connects to the gold king airstrip and then heads west on the rex trail but haven't been able to find anything about it online or on any good maps or google. The only thing i can find is the trail to blair lakes and then gold king. In late march I am planning on trying to ride from S Cushman to gold king and then west to the highway, but am trying to find someone who has a little info on that trail and how often people ride those sections of trail. Any info you have on that country would be immensely helpful.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Bonnifield trail

#2 Post by john »

Hey Mangi

The club has had a couple rides into the Flats but not all the way to Gold King from So Cushman. Usually just to Clear Creek Butts.

I tired it a couple years ago and got stopped by a couple deep ravines. We have been working on getting some bridges over the ravines, but that is still in the works.

I've also been to Gold King via the Rex in winter and that's a fairly easy ride, though a bit rough. The Rex goes from Clear Sky Lodge to the Gold King Airstrip.

From South Cushman, take the Bonnifield as far as you can, you'd have to do some bush wacking and work your way around the ravines and back to the Bonnifield, how many times, not sure. You'd take the Bonnifield to the Wood River and then cross the Wood to hit the trail, about a mile or 2, to the Gold King Airstrip, then the Rex back to the Parks Hwy at Clear Sky.

With that said, all the snow we've had this season may help in the crossing of ravines :) Just watch out for buried sticks from the fires of past years.

You should go to https://usartrak.isportsman.net/recreationalmaps.aspx join the iSpotsman and sign in before you go out there. They also have some maps that'll get you most of the way across the Flats, once you leave Military lands, well you on your own :)

If you do go, GPS it for our database of trails, would be a good add.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

We do have GPS coordinate to Gold King at goldking.php

alaskasc

#4 Post by alaskasc »

We went out this weekend as far as clear creek butte. We took the way the snow travelers did last year. The snow was great. Used a tank of gas in 73 miles.
Mike C

2015 Summit 800 E-Tec 154"

Darrell

#5 Post by Darrell »

Made a run south from south Cushman down the winter road toward Blair impact area. 3/22/18.

Talk to a crew coming north that had been taken water samples for the Army. They had gone to the second bridge and said the bridges are in good shape. Trail broke pass bridges unknown didn't think to ask him.

We took off toward Salmon loaf and Bonnifield trail. We got to the sign that says Bonnifield Trail and their should have been a trail coming from the west (one mile south of Butte) no sign of trail being broke out. Turn around and went up to Paul's plaque, no sign of a trail broke after opening on the hill also no sign of a trapper trail south of butte to Blair trail.
Came back to north side of clear creek butte took bypass trail to Blair trail and its a little rough but passable and new open areas to check out.
Rode south to Clear creek and east to Blair lake trail from north pole did a turn around.

Wonderful ride back to truck, boondocker paradise.

I hate summer!
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.