25 January, Tanana Flats - CANCELED

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

25 January, Tanana Flats - CANCELED

#1 Post by paulneva »

This ride will depart from the boat landing/day park at the end of Chena Pump Road at 10:00 AM and should be back before 3:00 PM. It will be a nice, easy ride of about 40 miles, ideal for families and beginning riders. We will ride down the Tanana River for a few miles and then go into the Tanana Flats. The Tanana Flats is a real wilderness right outside of Fairbanks. There are no gas stations or lunch counters so riders are advised to have a full gas tank and bring their own lunch. If the temperature is colder than -20 at the airport at 9:00 AM, the ride will be cancelled but we actually have a good forecast this Saturday. Riders who do not already have a Ft. Wainwright Recreation Area Pass can get one at http://usartrak.isportsman.net. The same site can be used to check in. We will be riding in areas 202, 203 and 206.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

dragonman

Re: 25 January, Tanana Flats

#2 Post by dragonman »

:supperhappy: Joshua and I will be there
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

larry morris

#3 Post by larry morris »

Hi all,
I have been under the weather all week. I will not be on the ride but, I will stop by at 9:30ish and drop off hotdogs, buns and condiments. Have a greatride and looking forward to the next one.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

I'll bring the Kat Kitchen along, assuming this dog gone rain stops, if not I may be sitting on my couch all day where the need for ice skates isn't required :)

Hey Paul, I know we have "below" zero no go temp, got an "above" zero one :shockedeye:

paulneva

#5 Post by paulneva »

John,

As far as I know we do not have an above zero cutoff but I have a bad feeling about riding on the River and in the Flats on Saturday. I was out there on Tuesday and there were already holes opening up on the River and big wet spots developing in the swamp and it has been nothing but warmer since then.

If anybody has any thoughts on this, I would like to hear them.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

If your concerned about bypassing the river portion, we could always meet off Cushman and take the Ice Bridge over, if it's in place, haven't been there yet this season.

That would at least get us on Bonnifield and we could go from there.

The temp aren't looking to kool down all that much in the next couple days.
Today: Cloudy. Highs in the 30s to around 40. Light winds.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy. Lows in the teens to lower 20s. Light winds.

Friday: Occasional light freezing rain and snow likely. Snow accumulation less than 1 inch. Highs in the lower to mid 30s. Light winds.

Friday Night: Mostly cloudy. Lows 9 to 15 above. Light winds.

Saturday: Increasing clouds. Highs in the lower 30s. Light winds.

Saturday Night: Mostly cloudy. Lows in the mid teens.

Stephen E. Enochs
Board Member
Board Member

#7 Post by Stephen E. Enochs »

Its always good policy to lean towards the safe side. I think due to weather reports and considering possible holes opening up taking new or family riders could be a dangerous situation as much as I like to ride I think its a bad idea to go on this one!

alaskasc

#8 Post by alaskasc »

It feels more like spring out there than winter. It may be unsafe to ride over any river, here, Cantwell, Summit. This will make 2 weeks with above 30 degrees and rain/freezing rain near us.
Mike C

2015 Summit 800 E-Tec 154"

REVITUP

#9 Post by REVITUP »

It's 6am, raining and 42 degrees at our house. The News-Miner says police are advising people not to drive and that Chena Ridge road is closed. Doesn't look like the temps are dropping anytime soon either. Dragging a trailer around town could present quite an issue just in itself. I would be really nervous to go riding on any of the rivers right now and riding in general is going to be a sloppy endeavor, your track packing with slush and such. Just my thoughts on it.
Why does it have to do this on the weekends??

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

I'm with Jody, even if the trails are ridable, I'm not going just because of the hazard of trying to tow trailer to the meeting spot.

Badger road was in tire chain mode this morning and not a fun drive :(

paulneva

#11 Post by paulneva »

This ride is canceled.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

larry morris

Re: 25 January, Tanana Flats - CANCELED

#12 Post by larry morris »

I am keeping the hotdogs in the freezer for the white mountain ride.

I brought a growler with me to work. I think I will stop on the way home and fill it for the weekend.