Jan 4 Minto flats

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

mit

Jan 4 Minto flats

#1 Post by mit »

Going to ride the road to the boat landing on the Chatanika and try to find the Dunbar trail and head north on it. To gain knowledge for a future club ride to the hot springs. I plan on having breakfast at Sam's Sourdough 7:30. Who is planing on going?
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Jan 4 Minto flats

#2 Post by john »

Tentatively I'll be there. Why run down the Chat from the road, isn't it closer going Murphy Dome down to the Chat to the Dunbar ?

mit

#3 Post by mit »

If you mean off the north side of Murphy dome I don't think so. but we can come back that way and compare it is all about the trip.
Tim Berg

Opie

#4 Post by Opie »

The road off Murphy Dome to the boat launch is quickest to the Dunbar - it was improved with the fire two summers ago. The road takes you directly to the Dunbar. Also, sometimes there can be nasty overflow on the Chatanika. A nice loop is:
- Take the road from the parking lot to the Chatanika where the cabins and boat ramp are
- Ride the Dunbar up and back, as far as you heart desires - I've been about halfway to Tolovana Hot Springs
- Ride the Chatanika river upstream to the trail John's talking about that goes to the North Side of Murphy Dome
- Ride the trail back to the parking lot

On the Dunbar it doesn't get much use, except by a trapper, and usually I'm with a kid or 2 and when I start breaking trail I'm afraid of running into trouble and being the only adult.

The guy and his wife that road with us on the McKay Creek ride has a cabin down there and knows the area pretty well. The wife rode a Tundra 300F.

Assuming the weather holds (temperature) I plan to be there. I live on Murphy Dome so I don't plan to drive in town for breakfast.

James

mit

#5 Post by mit »

See you there James.
Tim Berg

jasjew

#6 Post by jasjew »

Is this a family ride for the big and heavy ventures?

mit

#7 Post by mit »

I will be on a 570 bearcat with a back seater. This won't be summit lake riding. :shockedeye:
Tim Berg

mit

#8 Post by mit »

And I think Ivory Jacks will be the spot for after ride debriefing! :groupwave:
Tim Berg

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Tim,

If not at Sourdoughs for breakfast @ 7:30, what time are you thinking of leaving the boat landing off Murphy Dome Road ?

And, directions or map to the boat landing for those of us that don't go there often or are new to the area.

Opie

#10 Post by Opie »

You can't drive to the boat launch in the winter - except on a snowmachine. We have to unload at the Murphy Dome Parking lot and Tim can lead the way from there.

mit

#11 Post by mit »

Opie wrote:You can't drive to the boat launch in the winter - except on a snowmachine. We have to unload at the Murphy Dome Parking lot and Tim can lead the way from there.
John: This is what I was planning about 0900 up at the top leave by 0930ish. I'm flying to the lake in the morning will over fly the area.
Tim Berg

dragonman

#12 Post by dragonman »

:thumbsup: Should be 2 or 3 coming with me
will be at bakery
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

Alaskan Polar Bear

#13 Post by Alaskan Polar Bear »

are we meeting at Sourdo sams @730 on Sat?
No track and engine? what's the point?
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 159
2006 Polaris 755 RMK 151
2003 Polaris 550 super sport 121
2002 Polaris 700 RMK 144
1998 Polaris XLT Special 600 121
1976 Polaris TXL 340 Liquid
1972 / 74 Skiroule 300 RTX
and a few more

mfalk

#14 Post by mfalk »

I spent a bit of time riding on the Dunbar Trail 20 years ago and again 15 years ago to take a scout to the Tolovana Hot Springs. Once you get in a way it can get confusing if there are side trails, which there are in years where there is a lot of use, but perhaps not so much this year. I would love to go this year, but my 1991 MX-XTC may not be ready to roll yet. A couple of years ago I went with this group down to the Chatanika and back and I imagine some of the same folks will be on this ride.

mit

#15 Post by mit »

Sam's 7:30 Murphy Dome 9:00 And these times are tentative as it will take at least 30 min to drive to the top. We will shoot for a departure from the top at no later than 10 If I'm not there go with out me :whip: I do not want to be in traveling in the Dark any more than we have to so we will play the return by ear as we go; bring some snacks and water with you.
Last edited by mit on Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tim Berg