Ride Reprt on Memorial Weekend ATV Ride at Donnely Dome

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

larry morris

Ride Reprt on Memorial Weekend ATV Ride at Donnely Dome

#1 Post by larry morris »

Day at Donnelly Dome

I am back home from a wonderful day Saturday of ATV riding near Donnelly Dome near Delta Junction. The group is still there camping and riding for the three day holiday. But, having responsibilities, unlike others, I needed to return after only one day of riding. In other words, I wanted to set the record straight before that pack of liars got back to start vicious rumors about me and my ATV. The fact that Peter’s tow strap was continuously connected to my ATV was more to do with helping out by sharing some of the load from Peter’s Polaris than any other reason, don’t believe anything they say. I am sure there will be photos posted later by the others. Remember, with Photoshop anything is possible. Now to the beginning:

I left Fairbanks at 5:30 in the morning and the sky was clear and the temperature was already in the 50’s. A good day of riding was being anticipated. I arrived at the campsite at about 7:30. The fire was going and people were beginning to stir. The sun was bright and the wind was almost non-existent, a rarity in Delta. Going down the list of people there was; Peter, Josh, Cindy, Gary, Robin, Stoney, Dave, Dave, John, Myself and later joined by Steve. A very good gathering of riders.

The morning ride began by going up Dome road and over on the Ridge road. We saw Caribou, Moose and some Buffalo in the distance. After reaching a gate at the small arms range, we headed back to where the road crossed under the pipeline. This is where some of my fellow riders will begin their lies.

We proceeded up the pipeline service road going across the back side of Donnelly Dome. The views were wonderful. The road had some snow drifted across it that had not fully melted in this warm weather. There was MORE THAN JUST ONE that got stuck in the snow and needed some assistance getting dislodged. The warm weather combined with us breaking up the snow would speed some of the melting. In fact, later that day we travelled back on the road and had seen a big difference. We then returned to camp for some lunch and stories around the fire.

For the afternoon ride we crossed the Rich and took a frontage trail to where the pipeline crossed. Our destination being Coal Mine road. The trail had snow and a lot of water on it. Did I mention that Stoney was with us? There were, thankfully, no reports to be made of sinking ATVs or riders. We reached the Coal Mine road only to find it was still snowed in. We looked at possible bypasses but, decided to go back to the Rich. We then took the pipeline service road around to where we previously rode to in the morning ride. There were new drifts and Peter needed to be extricated from his snow laden predicament a few times. On the way back to camp, I had one last piece of excitement of going about 50 MPH and having a Moose failing to yield the right-of-way while running out from the brush. I could have touched it while breaking and skidding by. The remainder of the return was done at a more controllable velocity.

The day was filled with incredible scenery, wildlife, warm weather and great day of ushering in the summer season. In the past, the Snow Travelers had gone into a state of dormancy after about April until November. That no longer needs to be the case. We have begun to have ATV rides around Fairbanks and to other areas. With the good weather and long days you owe it to yourselves to come along and have some good fun. But remember; don’t believe anything these fibers say.

dragonman

Re: Ride Reprt on Memorial Weekend ATV Ride at Donnely Dome

#2 Post by dragonman »

:4x4: :supperhappy: The Weekend weather was sunny and warm .
I was glad that I came as the bull around the camp fire got pretty wild so I had to reel the boys back in
to reality
We Had Peter, Dave P, Dave, John, Larry, Steve, James, Joshua ,Stony, Gary, wives, & Pets. 7 motorhomes and 1 tent
Mondays trip ended up with a long water crossing that made Stony happy that he got his feet wet
Any one that didn't come really missed a fantastic weekend
I will get more pics for John to post later this week
Peter
2015 Polaris Voyager 550 155" track
2014 Polaris 850 XP Touring eps ATV 28: Zilla tires
2014 Polaris RZR 570 26" Swamp Lites
2012 Polaris Pro RMK 800 163"
2012 Polaris 850 XP eps ATV 31" outlaw tires 2" lift

dragonman

#3 Post by dragonman »

:4x4: Larry's new tires :banana:
to minimize this
Oh Larry can I have my tow Rope back now ?

dragonman

#4 Post by dragonman »

:4x4: Larry said bring it on
He's playing with the big boys now
He even has a ball hitch to start pulling
Others out

larry morris

#5 Post by larry morris »

I'm ready, let's go. I hope all of FST can come and watch me break in my new tires. Have a good day and maybe watch me tow Peter out of a hole.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Out of 300 pictures I uploaded about 50 of them to the Gallery.

Alright Larry, now as long as something like this doesn't happen...
P5250078.jpg
Ooops, your both stuck, side by side :tounge:

Them tires will help you pull out Peter....