Cantwell again this weekend?

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

txcanyon

Cantwell again this weekend?

#1 Post by txcanyon »

Anybody interested in going back down again? Myself, Nick and his girlfriend met up with Al, had a nice breakfast and then put over 100miles on our sleds in some of the best powder riding this season on Saturday. I drove down to Anchorage Monday and they had gotten another few inches of snow Monday morning. Looks like my Army friend may join.

Looking to go back towards Deadman Mtn. and have some more fun in the deep fluff. Make sure you bring extra gas since most of us were already on fumes, and based on the route Al took us back there we could pull a sled with a bunch of extra gas (and lunch!!) behind us.

Edit: Changed to weekend to maybe fit in alongside John's local ride.
Last edited by txcanyon on Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Cantwell again on Saturday?

#2 Post by john »

No pictures ....

Did you make it to Deadman Lake ?

txcanyon

#3 Post by txcanyon »

Nick took all the pictures. My phone froze and shut off :oops:

We made it to Deadman Mtn (on top of it actually). Al showed us where Deadman and Big Lake were, but we were having so much fun we didn't feel the need to go further back. We did run into some folks who were hunting back in there and Al mentioned something about some people were scuba diving as well.

The biggest issue we had was gas. Nick put a 5gal can on his sled and I took my 1gal. By the time we finished Al and I were on fumes. I'd like to find a pull sled to put behind mine (via rope or something) and pull in as many cans of gas as possible. Running up hills/mtns at 7000rpm sure does use alot of gas :thumbleft:

Getting back there is super easy, Al had to ride his 1200 and it had smaller lugged track than mine and he had no issues. Most of it is already tracked in anyways. Once we got up above the creek floor it was miles and miles of untouched powder (mid thigh and deeper). It was set very well, and aside from a steep hill that my sled decided to park itself on (after going really far up it btw), we really had no issues.

Darrell

Re: Cantwell again this weekend?

#4 Post by Darrell »

D O T is to start clearing snow on the Denali Hwy this week so access to your play ground maybe a little easier.

:thumbleft:
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

cleary

#5 Post by cleary »

The biggest issue we had was gas. Nick put a 5gal can on his sled and I took my 1gal. By the time we finished Al and I were on fumes. I'd like to find a pull sled to put behind mine (via rope or something) and pull in as many cans of gas as possible. Running up hills/mtns at 7000rpm sure does use alot of gas :thumbleft:

Don't tow anything with a rope. If you make a quick stop it will be in your back pocket.

I use one of these http://www.tourbuddy.com/index.shtml on my Summit 700, holds 2.7 gallons and works great and is an easy install, at least on mine.

Chuck

billy6384

#6 Post by billy6384 »

We climbed up to the top of Deadman Mt, that's as far as we went. I do have pics on my phone and Melissa's camera, but don't have internet at home. Can't plug in any USB devices or download anything on gov't computers. Oh yeah and I do have a otter sled with a solid hitch. The overall ride was just perfect though! Put on 120 miles.
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

txcanyon

#7 Post by txcanyon »

Looking at 5 so far, and I get to ride an M6 too!

txcanyon

#8 Post by txcanyon »

Over 100 miles traveled. Thanks to Nick for towing in 25 additional gallons of fuel for the fun and games. Snow was great. The weather was perfect. Thanks to Al for the hospitality and the awesome ribs!!! What a way to end the season!!

billy6384

#9 Post by billy6384 »

No problem! I'm glad it towed decently. It was so worth to get in all the extra riding out there! What a epic day of riding, probably the best I've had this year! I didn't get back to FB until 1215am, what a long day! :exhausted:
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled