Caribou Lakes, Mar 30th

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Caribou Lakes, Mar 30th

#1 Post by john »

The plan is to meet at Cantwell lodge Saturday morning at 8:30 AM for breakfast.

My initial thought is to take the Jack River route to Caribou Lakes, however, depending on who shows to help me lead we may try an alternative route, we'll decide over breakfast.

Should be a great ride.

Let me know if your coming so I can give the lodge a heads up.

txcanyon

Re: Caribou Lakes, Mar 30th

#2 Post by txcanyon »

How could this be worked into a day trip?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Although I prefer to stay in the area (Cantwell) lots of folks make it a day trip.

Drive down in the early AM, ride and drive back that afternoon/evening.

Figure 2.5 hours or so for the drive down, so you'd need to leave town around 5:30 or 6:00.

I believe Dean is doing a day trip for this run.

If you are for sure coming down, let me know and we'll wait a bit in case your late.

txcanyon

#4 Post by txcanyon »

Well I plan to be there, though if more are going, we could consolidate vehicles/trailers to save a little on gas. If I can get my friend to go, he will want alot of "off-trail" time and I am not certain how you plan on running the show down there.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

For consolidation, see who posts here you might be able to double up with.

I'm going down Thursday morning to get some cabin work done, so not able to offer a ride, plus my trailer is currently packed with no space available.

Off trail time hahahahahaha, were going to Cantwell, staying on a trail is the issue in Cantwell. So I think he'd get his wish if he come down.

txcanyon

#6 Post by txcanyon »

Well Cantwell is where I first went snowmobiling a couple of months ago. Though the sled I was on wasn't usable after the "failed jump" so I sat in my truck while my 2 friends went to a place called Honolulu Pass, though I dont know where that is. Do you have a map that can show your "projected" route?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

Just had to update...

Got Snow, this is for the Cantwell area

Today: Snow. Areas of blowing snow north of talkeetna with local visibilities of one half mile or less. Snow accumulation 4 to 8 inches. Highs in the upper teens to upper 20s.

Tonight: Snow. Snow accumulation 1 to 4 inches...highest amounts north of talkeetna. Lows zero to 10 above. Variable wind to 15 mph.

Tuesday: Snow likely in the morning then isolated snow showers in the afternoon. Snow accumulation up to 2 inches...mainly north of talkeetna. Highs 10 to 20 above. Light winds.

Some folks from work are currently snowed in in Valdez, lucky, guess I should of gone to that conference :)

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Here are maps showing two of the three legal access points, per BLM.
Caribou_Lakes_Access_1.pdf
Caribou_Lakes_Access_2.pdf
I'm working on getting the 3rd one that takes off from the Denali Hwy and follows the Jack River from that side.

billy6384

#9 Post by billy6384 »

I'm going on this one and just going to make it a day trip. I invited a freind, he hasn't gave me a yes or no yet. If he doesn't say yes by Thursday I will have a extra spot on the trailer.

Nick
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

The third BLM access map and a Topo that also shows Honolulu Pass near the bottom for reference in case your interested.
Caribou_Lakes_Access_3.pdf
Caribou_Lakes_Access.JPG

2manydogs

#11 Post by 2manydogs »

Just drove in from Anchorage, lousy driving conditions, Anchorage to Wasilla, Trapper Creek to Healy but lots, lots of snow. Weather looks good, ride should be good, deep stuff. Planning on a day ride deal but will be ready to overnight if I have to and drive Sunday AM,Easter dinner with the family you know. Possibly could haul a sled and rider.
Dave

Darrell

#12 Post by Darrell »

Lots of wind in Broad pass yesterday, and don't forget your avalanche beacons.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#13 Post by john »

From Paul R Jr. on Cantwell
Heard from a guy that has a cabin down there and just got back. He said there is 2 feet of fresh snow and everybody was getting stuck. Yes!

txcanyon

#14 Post by txcanyon »

john wrote:From Paul R Jr. on Cantwell
Heard from a guy that has a cabin down there and just got back. He said there is 2 feet of fresh snow and everybody was getting stuck. Yes!
Not something I want to hear.... my sled seems to do "ok" in 3 feet or so. I've never had it anything past waist deep (my first ride didnt count as all I knew how to do then was get stuck :oops:) I guess I will be able to email Camoplast and tell them how well the Cobra track really performs in the deep powder when it is all said and done.

I called today and reserved myself a room. I dont know how full up they are but they may have more available. I will be leaving friday after work (wont be on road probably until after 6pm) I dont plan on dragging my trailer down there so I will just load my sled in the back of my truck.

John: I let the guy who reserved my room to expect a party of 10+ to be there for breakfast, and he said no problem.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

Thanks for passing along the note on breakfast.

I'll be there for breakfast unless I get stuck coming out of the cabin :)