Sunday, Feb 12th

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Sunday, Feb 12th

#1 Post by john »

Sunday the 12th is our scheduled Sweetheart run. It's one of the best local ride's of the season.

Plan is to leave Chena Pump Landing at 9:30 AM.

This is a great family ride and should be excellent this year. The temps are predicted to be in the "above" range, of course that can change in a day :<)

Hope to see ya all there.

bjshilling

Re: Sunday, Feb 12th

#2 Post by bjshilling »

Could you describe what type of ride is planned? Is this the trip to the Monderosa? Are folks going one way or both? Is there a group taking trailers to nenana? Thanks for any info you can share.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Hey BJ,

The Sweetheart run is Fairbanks to Nenana. And yes, we go to the Monderosa for lunch and then ride back.

Most usually plan on riding both ways. Although it is a long ride, roughly 110 to 120 miles RT, it is an easy ride on the river.

Some have gone one way and gotten picked up at the Monderosa, usually because of mechanical problems, such as when I blew my crank case a couple years ago.

We do gas up in Nenena after lunch on the way back, so if you can make 60 miles on a tank you'll be OK.

This is classified as a Family ride. If we have a lot of sleds show up we'll split into two groups, the fast riders in the first group and those more inclined to enjoy the scenery in the second group.

This is one of the rides I look forward to every year and with the temps as they are, this should be a good one.

mit

#4 Post by mit »

I have to work this weekend! :wall:
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

REVITUP

#5 Post by REVITUP »

Man, it really stinks to have to work when we have the riding conditions so prime for the Sweetheart Ride. We will be thinking of ya!!

Bsweum

#6 Post by Bsweum »

This sounds like a great ride (will be my first of the season!) but am a bit leary of open water and/or exposed ice; I dont have ice cleats on either of my sleds and my wife is VERY skidish about open water.
Any words of comfort and encouragement?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

Bsweum wrote:This sounds like a great ride (will be my first of the season!) but am a bit leary of open water and/or exposed ice; I dont have ice cleats on either of my sleds and my wife is VERY skidish about open water.
Any words of comfort and encouragement?
It will be a great ride, just tell her it'll be a nice easy run and should be warm. We'll also have folks leading so as long as they don't suddenly disappear you should be OK :oops:

A lot of folks are leary of running the rivers and in all seriousness, the best thing to tell her is that the ice should be thick enough to drive a truck on in most places. And our sled are considerable lighter, so not to worry.

My sled will probable be the heaviest one out their, its a 2011 Bearcat 1100 and weights a whopping 900 to 1,000 pounds loaded, most trail sleds are in the 500 pound range. So if I can make it she'll be fine.

Summit800

#8 Post by Summit800 »

Ice cleats not needed, will be a hard packed trail, Chances are, you wont even see ice on the trail,only snow. Should be a great ride.

TheBearAk

#9 Post by TheBearAk »

How did the ride go?
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

Was excellent. Great day, warm weather, good food and only one sled broke down :<{

Ride report in next months newsletter, pictures in the gallery and one of the videos on the main page are from the ride down.