February 4 ride

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

paulneva

February 4 ride

#1 Post by paulneva »

Jody,

Are you leading a Cantwell ride on the 4th? If not, would you like to change it to a Tanana Flats ride? I'll lead.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

REVITUP

Re: February 4 ride

#2 Post by REVITUP »

I am good with changing the ride to the flats, any riding would be nice!

paulneva

#3 Post by paulneva »

:feedup: We will try again. The 4 February ride is changed from Cantwell to the Tanana Flats. The ride will depart from the boat landing/day park at the end of Chena Pump Road at 10:00 AM and should be back before 3:00 PM. It will be a nice, easy ride of about 50 miles ideal for families and beginning riders. We will ride down the Tanana River for a few miles and then go into the Tanana Flats. The Tanana Flats is a real wilderness right outside of Fairbanks. There are no gas stations or lunch counters so riders are advised to have a full gas tank and bring their own lunch. If the temperature is colder than -20 at the airport at 9:00 AM the ride will be cancelled.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

skelsey

#4 Post by skelsey »

Count us in.

Steve and Karyn

paulneva

#5 Post by paulneva »

You cannot have any idea of how much it pains me to post this notice. My heart is going bad again. I will not be able to lead Saturdays' ride.

I lead a ride into the Flats today. I had trouble finding the trails for all the snow. If someone will step up and take the lead, there is great riding in the Flats right now. Because of all the cold, nobody has been there.

Saturday's ride is in today's News-Miner, so I really hope someone will step up and take charge.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Paul, Paul, Paul...

I'll be at Chena Pump Landing at 9:30. Don't know about leading, but I got experience getting us lost :grtruckn:

REVITUP

#7 Post by REVITUP »

John, thank you. If this weather holds this will be a nice ride. I couldn't offer to lead, I have only been on that trail once so I knew I could get us lost!! :joke:

skelsey

#8 Post by skelsey »

Thanks to Paul I know how to get to clear creek butte very well. I know how to get back on the same trail but was hoping to pick Paul's brain some more on the other way back so we dont have to back track. With a group of us Im sure we can figure it out. See you all there about 945.

Steve and Karyn

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

We ended up with 84.5 miles on today, well half of us did anyway :)

Big thanks to skelsey (Steve) for leading a major part of the time and keeping me on the right track :oops:

Some pictures and a vid on the way later on.

Stephen E. Enochs
Board Member
Board Member

#10 Post by Stephen E. Enochs »

I thought it was a good ride and I thought the snow was excellant! Mis Paul....tho John you don good!

Jon Lieberman

#11 Post by Jon Lieberman »

john wrote:We ended up with 84.5 miles on today, well half of us did anyway :)

Big thanks to skelsey (Steve) for leading a major part of the time and keeping me on the right track :oops:

Some pictures and a vid on the way later on.
After the group split up did you guys make it over to Clear Creek Butte? Great ride, haven't been out in a while. Had trouble with my visor frosting up so stopped at Compeau's on the way home and picked up a helmet with a electric element in the visor-- can't wait to try it out.

Thanks to all.

Jon L

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

Jon Lieberman wrote:After the group split up did you guys make it over to Clear Creek Butte?
Didn't get there, thinking about getting a group together and cutting out the trees blocking the trail we were on.

paulneva

#13 Post by paulneva »

john wrote:Didn't get there, thinking about getting a group together and cutting out the trees blocking the trail we were on.
:clap: John'

If you can get a work party together, there probably two more trails out there that are blocked that the Snow Travelers used to use regularly. I looked at your photos so I know you already know where the Bonifield is blocked. Additionally the trail on top of Clear Creek Butte is blocked and the trail up the west side is probably blocked. Stephen and I did some hand clearing on that last one last winter, but I'll bet no one has been up it this winter and it is closed again. Let me know when you are going to do it. I would like to go along.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

skelsey

#14 Post by skelsey »

Im up for a work party to clear those trails out. have chainsaw will travel. Anyday next week after the sweetheart run works for me. Just let me know. text me at 378-3158.

Steve

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

Lets discuss it during lunch Sunday.

I'm off the week of the 19th to get the Iron Dog stuff done.

That would work better for me if your still available. If not, maybe I can get some time during the week before.