January 21 Chatanika Loop Ride

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

cleary

January 21 Chatanika Loop Ride

#1 Post by cleary »

Margaret and I rode the loop today. It's in great shape except for the two miles on the Old Murphy Dome Road which of course is plowed. Its not not down to the dirt but pretty thin. Hopefully we'll have a little more snow by ride time but its enough as it is. We'll meet at the Chatanika Lodge, mile 28.5 Steese Highway at 9 for breakfast. This is an easy ride, about 40 miles in length. We'll head down the Chatanika Valley on the old Tanana Valley Railroad Bed to the Elliot Highway. Then on down the Valley on the pipeline acess road to the pipeline. From there south on the pipeline to the Old Murphy Dome Road where we'll head east on the road to the Elliot and the Silver Fox Mine Road, around the Pedro Dome to Cleary Summit and the Fairbanks Creek Road. From there down the Fairbanks Creek Road to the Historic Circle-Fairbanks Trail and on to Chatanika.

If there's time and interest we can take a little side trip on Cleary Summit to see the Fort Knox Mine or one of the other trails up here. Bring a snack and we'll take a break somewhere along the way. Of course this all depends on the temperature. If its colder than 20 below we'll cancel.

You can check the temps at Chatanika at: http://www.gi.alaska.edu/facilities/pokerflat/weather If this page says "n/a" where the temperature should be it means its 40 below or colder.

Cleary Summit at: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roadwe ... &siteId=29

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: January 21 Chatanika Loop Ride

#2 Post by john »

Hey Chuck,

What's your cut off temps for Saturdays ride ? and on what location, Airport or Cleary.

It's showing a balmy -1 this morning at Cleary, whoohoo, get the sun block out.

cleary

#3 Post by cleary »

john wrote:Hey Chuck,

What's your cut off temps for Saturdays ride ? and on what location, Airport or Cleary.

It's showing a balmy -1 this morning at Cleary, whoohoo, get the sun block out.
Its looking good up here, got up to plus 7 yesterday. I've been watching Chatanika, its 24 below at Poker right now. Unless the bottom drops out its a go. If its too cold at the Chatanika Lodge we can ride up this way instead of heading down the valley. We start gaining elevation as soon as we leave the lodge heading this way. There's lots of riding up here we can do.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Works for me..

Have you talked to Ronnie and Shirley about a 9:00 AM breakfast, I know their normal hours are now 10:00 AM, sleep heads :angle:

I'll there for sure unless it drops down to -30 below again.

cleary

#5 Post by cleary »

john wrote:Works for me..

Have you talked to Ronnie and Shirley about a 9:00 AM breakfast, I know their normal hours are now 10:00 AM, sleep heads :angle:

I'll there for sure unless it drops down to -30 below again.
Yes, we had dinner there Sunday. I'll reconfirm tomorrow. Thanks for the reminder.

Chuck

billy6384

#6 Post by billy6384 »

Sounds decent for temps, I'll be there for this one. Its been awhile since Ive been able to get out and ride. Hopefully some more people show up for this!
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

cleary

#7 Post by cleary »

This ride is a go!!!!!!!! :big_grin:

I just rode to the Chatanika Lodge and back to here on Cleary Summit. The temp. here at our place on the Summit is a big fat 0 and the temp. at the Lodge is 5 below. You can check the temp. at the lodge at http://www.gi.alaska.edu/facilities/pokerflat/weather This is the Poker Flat Rocket Range next door to the Lodge. If the temps. stay in this range we'll do the loop as originally planned.

Ron and Shirley with have the grill going at 9. I'll be there regardless of the temps.

Chuck :supperhappy:

cleary

#8 Post by cleary »

Its cooling down in the valley. Ron called a while ago and it was 20 below at the Lodge. Poker is showing 24 below at 9 PM. Its holding at 0 here at our place. I'll still be at the Lodge at 9 for breakfast. If its too cold down there we can ride up the trail to here and ride or trailer up here and ride. Don't unload at the Lodge until we decide.

Chuck :big_grin:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Great ride, about 60 miles total in two different runs from Cleary Summit, thanks chuck for leading. Got some good pictures and a vids. I'll post them to the site tonight or tomorrow.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

Pictures are up. Check out 4, 5 and 6.

A new type of sled, the Skandik Beaver :rolf:

billy6384

#11 Post by billy6384 »

Was a very fun ride! Great pics John!
2018 XF High Country 800 141"