Nov. 21st : 28 Mile Elliott - Canceled

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Nov. 21st : 28 Mile Elliott - Canceled

#1 Post by john »

So who all plans to go ?

The temps are suppose to warm up to 0, of course it is suppose to get down to -22 Friday night, so might be a chilly start, guess we could sort of drag our feet during breakfast :tounge: . However the trail conditions per BLM are looking good ..
White Mountains Trail Conditions Update

Last updated Thursday, November 12
General Remarks/Safety Alert

BLM trail crews have not yet been out on the trails this winter. Until this week, conditions were marginal. However, the recent storm reportedly dropped up to 18 inches of snow in some locations around the White Mountains, and trail conditions are expected to improve significantly. Trail users should expect to do some trail breaking and should be prepared for bumpy or rough conditions. Please use caution at all creek crossings; many of the creeks have frozen thick enough for safe travel, but some particular crossings take longer to freeze. A BLM trail crew anticipates grooming trails next week.

paulneva

Re: Nov. 21st : 28 Mile Elliott

#2 Post by paulneva »

I am planning on going.

For whoever wants to know, here's the plan. We meet at the Hilltop Truck-stop on the Elliott (breakfast for those who want it) before 1000. We will leave there at 1000 and drive to the trail head at Mile 28 on the Elliott. From the trailhead, depending on trail condition, we will ride to Caribou Bluff Cabin (58 mi RT) or Colorado Creek Cabin (68 mile RT). Since the ride officially starts at 1000, it will officially cancel if it is below -20 at 0900.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

JWoodburn

#3 Post by JWoodburn »

I'm down for the ride. Will be there for breakfast. See you at wednesday's meeting.

Jeromy
Freedom is not free

micorps

#4 Post by micorps »

I will try and be there providing nothing pops up, breaking trails is always fun, rough trails always add some fun, and creek crossings......just hit it hard :joke:

micorps

#5 Post by micorps »

Oh yeah see you all wednesday night.

mwilson8681

#6 Post by mwilson8681 »

I'll be there for breakfast and the ride on Sat... see you there!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

paulneva wrote:I am planning on going.

For whoever wants to know, here's the plan.
Yes oh great trail leader, we :bow: to your wisdom.... So now, what weather report you using for the 9:00 AM cancel ?

Either way I'll be there for breakfast since I think it'll be a nice day to ride and warmer up on top.

cleary

#8 Post by cleary »

You can also check the temps up here on DOT's Cleary Summit Road Weather Information System Site: http://www.dot.state.ak.us/iways/roadwe ... &siteId=29 It's elevation is 2,200 feet, about 300 feet higher than the trail head on the Elliot.

Chuck

paulneva

#9 Post by paulneva »

I don't consider myself a "great trail leader," I am just the guy who volunteered to lead this ride when the traditional leader didn't want to. :couch: I don't know a lot, but I don't get lost. Anyway, the official temp question is partially answered on our Rides and Events page - it says to call 458-3745. That is the NOAA Alaska number. It doesn't say so, but the selections are 1-1-1-3. That gives you the official airport temperature. That is what we agreed we would use.

Now if a bunch of us are at Hilltop and want to ride there is nothing to prevent it, it is just not an official ride if it was below -20 at 0900. :angle:

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

As the saying goes, no volunteer goes un-punished :whip:

The temps are not looking to good. Predictions are -22 at 9:00 AM and it's suppose to warm up to to -19 y Noon, oh boy..

I still plan to be at Hill Top for breakfast, but riding, well, we'll see ...

paulneva

#11 Post by paulneva »

As a diabetic, I have to watch my diet and don't get as much fun a big breakfast as you do, so if it is 20 below tomorrow morning, :brrr: don't expect to see me.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

cleary

#12 Post by cleary »

We finally have an inversion, currently (11:30 PM) its 6 below up here. If this holds or strengthens it should be decent riding in the hills tomorrow.

Chuck

REVITUP

#13 Post by REVITUP »

At 8 a.m. I am seeing temps anywhere from -5 at Cleary to -34 at Ft. Wainwright. We have a temp of -24 on our little hill here north of town, too chilly for me even if our sleds were ready to go!!! :brrr: We are planning to go to Hilltop for breakfast though!

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nov. 21st : 28 Mile Elliott - Canceled

#14 Post by john »

It was -22 at Hill Top when I arrived at 8:50 this morning. And since it was 30 below at my place I didn't even bother taking my sleds up. So needly to say the ride was canceled.

Seven folks showed up for breakfast, John M, Jim M, Jody and Steve, Brad, myself and a member to be (Phil). Brad and Phil were the only two who had sleds and they decided to go on their own anyway, it did warm up to minus 20 by 10:00 when I left to head home.

micorps

Re: Nov. 21st : 28 Mile Elliott - Canceled

#15 Post by micorps »

Yeah i decided not to go when i woke up this morning and saw the temps.