Unplanned Ride Sat 4/12

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Unplanned Ride Sat 4/12

#1 Post by john »

Thinking about riding Sat. Anyone else interested ?

Breakfast at Chatanika Lodge @ 9:00 AM

Then go to 42 Mile Steese or leave from the lodge.

Need to talked to Ronnie and see if the Orange (or Red or whatever color that is) Trail is opened, not to sure with the warm weather and river conditions. But if so, maybe ride to Moose Creek or Crowberry cabin from there take the trail to 42 mile and then find a trail paralleling the Steese and ride back to Chatanika Lodge.

Looks do able and might be a fun exploratory run, Thoughts ??

cleary

#2 Post by cleary »

We've got 6 inches of new snow up here and it's still snowing. Tried the Fairbanks Creek Road yesterday but my skegs went all the way to the dirt as it was plowed by DOT two weeks ago. Today I drove my dually with the camper in it down it to the Circle Trail trail head and back to pack it. Hopefully it will set up enough to be ride able. I'll check it out tomorrow.

I suspect that the trail from the lodge to the Circle Trail is OK. If I get out that way I'll check that out as well. Ronnie is going to ride to Moose Creek Cabin over Haystack today he said. That would be another option for you. I rode it a few weeks ago and it was fine. I'll check with Ronnie and find out how it was.

John, just read your post again. Think you'll not find an easy way to ride from 42 mile to the lodge. No trail that I am aware of. A possible loop would be down the Chatanika Valley to the pipeline, pipeline to Wickersham Dome, Wick to Moose Creek and back to the lodge via Haystack

[albumimg]1078[/albumimg]

Chuck

JDPLWITT

#3 Post by JDPLWITT »

I am interested. Talking to another rider on Saturuday - need to be carefull of the River Crossing in that area - may be questionable - even though the trais are in good shape.
Jeffrey

"From the North will come a hunter who will strike fear into the hearts of its prey"

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

The river crossing should be OK as long we check it out, its a short ride across.

Thanks Chuck, please let us know what you and Ronnie find out. I'm open to the best ride available :) but it might be worth looking into creating a run that would get us from Chatanika --> Moose Creek --> 42 mile --> Chatanika for next year :)

You going to join us for breakfast ??

Don Lowell

#5 Post by Don Lowell »

John: Count me in!
Don

ObiJuanAk

#6 Post by ObiJuanAk »

Dang, I can't make it this weekend! Argh! :wall: :thumbdown:

I guess I'm toast for the season... :shaking:

Oh well, maybe we'll be able to join you inthe summer for some of the ATV rides (crossed fingers) :atv:

Have fun and be safe. Watch out for overflow areas. I understand that Brian is still limping.

Juan

Bashley

#7 Post by Bashley »

Yes I am. After a week of it another doctor discovered I did break the tibia right above the ankle bone. Nothing serious, but a pain the rear none the less.
So, yes, watch out for overflow. Make sure and bring those slip on shoe spikes just in case. Wish I would have.
'06 Yamaha Attak
'09 M8 HCR

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Thanks for the warning and sorry you can't make it ObiJuan.

Well see who all shows up, with this new snow I'm hoping for a good last local ride :) Of course if it keeps snowing like it is / has been, might not be the last local run.....

cleary

#9 Post by cleary »

Marg. and I rode to Chatanika last night for dinner. Some thin spots on the Fairbanks Creek Road where we hit our skegs but not too bad. Snowing hard right now so that should help. Temperature on Cleary Summit right now is 17. The Circle Trail and the trail down the ridge are surprisingly good. The short section from the ridge to the ditch is bad. We should re-locate that section this summer. From the ditch to the Lodge is fine. The Circle Trail would probably be a good ride.

Ron was gone when we got there as he had ridden up to Haystack to visit friends. Just talked to him and the trail to Haystack is fine. River crossing has some overflow but no problem. Ron is going to check out the trail down the valley to the pipeline and will report back.

Not sure what we're going to do this weekend. Might see you at the lodge Saturday morn.....

Chuck

JDPLWITT

#10 Post by JDPLWITT »

Count me in. See you at Chatanika @ 9:00 AM.
Jeffrey

"From the North will come a hunter who will strike fear into the hearts of its prey"

paulneva

#11 Post by paulneva »

I am interested. I hope to be there.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

Dean Allen

42 mile to Chatanika

#12 Post by Dean Allen »

Greetings Chuck!
Do you think that building a trail from 42 mile area, south across the Chatanika, tieing into the mail trail/Fairbanks Creek somewhere would be reasonably possible? I'm not sure where on the mail trail you would be if you went straight across country from 42 mile. Sorrel Creek perhaps?

cleary

Re: 42 mile to Chatanika

#13 Post by cleary »

Dean Allen wrote:Greetings Chuck!
Do you think that building a trail from 42 mile area, south across the Chatanika, tieing into the mail trail/Fairbanks Creek somewhere would be reasonably possible? I'm not sure where on the mail trail you would be if you went straight across country from 42 mile. Sorrel Creek perhaps?
Probably not, it's almost 7 miles as the crow flies. I do have some thoughts though and I am always up for adding trails. GVEA extended their power from Captain Creek to Long Creek, past McKay Creek a couple of years ago. There's a lot of private property in the McKay Creek area but we might be able avoid that by picking up the Davidson Ditch where the trail crosses it and dropping into Bell Creek and then the power line to Captain Creek. We might have to use the highway right-of-way in a few spots of avoid private property. I'm sure willing to help check it out this summer.

Chuck

[albumimg]1079[/albumimg]

Dean Allen

new trail from 42 mile

#14 Post by Dean Allen »

Thanks Chuck,
That trail idea sounds like an excellent reason to meet at the lodge one Saturday morning for breakfast. With you and Ronnie, some decent maps and a little imagination I suspect we could come up with something. Be fun to do.
Thanks
Dean

cleary

#15 Post by cleary »

Ronnie showed up here on his sled yesterday. He had ridden from the lodge down the valley to the pipeline, to the Old Murphy Dome Road to the Elliot Highway, Silver Fox Mine Road to Pedro Dome and Cleary Summit. This loop including Cleary to the lodge is 49 miles. I joined him and we rode to the lodge and then to Haystack and back to the lodge. I then fired up the Tucker Sno Cat and the last time I saw Ron he was headed toward Heart Break Hotel with it. He groomed down the valley to 4 corners I believe and then this direction past the ditch to the top of the ridge. There's a lot of new snow on top and Ron said the pipeline and across to Cleary was very good. With the new snow the Fairbanks Creek Road is great as is the Circle Trail. It's time to ride folks!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck