Cantwell Run

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Cantwell Run

#1 Post by john »

Just a reminder that we have the Cantwell run coming up this next weekend, 2/19/05.

If you plan to go, let us know so we can coordinate a meeting place for Saturday Morning....

bob martin

Cantwell

#2 Post by bob martin »

We're coming along. We have reservations at The Backwoods for both Fri. and Sat. nights. We are anxious to her details about the trip.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Here what I know for now.

Depending on who goes, we will either ride out from the area by the Igloo (just south Cantwell) and head west. I hear it's great riding in that area. However, as I have never personally been there, I'm hoping some one who has would be coming on the ride.

If not, then I'll lead a ride down the Denali Hwy towards the Susitna River, it's about 45 miles or so as I remember. It a beautiful run. Great scenery, some open fields of powder to play, some hills and usually some wildlife i.e. caribou, tarmigan, etc.

My wife and I are also staying at the Backwoods Lodge, she can't ride do to medical reasons, so it'll be just me. I figured we could have breakfast at the cafe at the junction of the Parks and Denali Hwy. I don't know when it opens, but I would imagine their open by 8:00 am at least.

So my plan for now is to meet there at 8:00 am Saturday, have breakfast, gas up and go.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Here's the plan. Wife and I will be at the Backwoods Lodge around 8 or 9:00 PM tomorrow (Friday).

The Cafe on the Parks Hwy is closed. Plan B for Saturday AM.

Per the folks at the Backwoods Lodge (Thank You):

THE NEW CAFE AT THE CANTWELL LODGE IN OLD CANTWELL, BEFORE THE RAILROAD CROSSING, IS A FAIRLY LARGE AND GOOD PLACE TO MEET WITH LOTS OF PARKING. THEIR NUMBER IS 768-2300.

So we'll meet at the New Cafe at 8:00 AM for breakfast. With those that I know are going, it looks like we'll be going down the Denali towards Paxson. It's a great ride with lot of variety, open fields, hills, wildlife, etc. Bring extra gas...!

To get to the Cantwell Lodge, go to the main intersection in Cantwell (there's only one) and turn right. It's about a mile and half down.

See ya all there..... :D

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

Cantwell Ride Report

What another great weekend for riding. We left Fairbanks around 5:00 PM Friday and although the DOT had a road advisor out for the Parks Hwy from Old Nenana to the Richardson, the roads were in great shape, at least until we hit Healy. Between Healy and Cantwell we hit falling snow and wind, which was a mixed blessing. The blessing, fresh snow to ride on Saturday, the curse, hoping we'd make it in the almost white out conditions. Needless to say we made it to Cantwell at 9:00, minus an hour's layover for dinner in Healy, not bad time, considering.

We checked in at the Backwoods Lodge, and I want to say right from the begining, this is one of best places I have ever stayed at. The rooms are clean and comfortable with all the accomodations one could ask for. This was especially important to me, since the wife couldn't ride, having a great place to spend the day makes everything much better for all concerned.

Saturday morning we got up and headed to the New Cantwell Lodge in Old Cantwell for breakfast. The food was good, but I did miss my morning omelette which wasn't an option. After eating and going over our route, we off loaded and/or meet at what is known as the school bus turn-around. This is approximately 3 and half miles east of the Parks Hwy on the Denali. From this point on DOT doesn't plow and we got to riding in some of the most spectacular country you could ask for in Alaska.

Our destinantion was the Susitna River, approximately 59 miles down the road. Along the way we saw flocks of Tarmigan and Moose, and although I did see lots of sign, we didn't see one Caribou, which kind of surprised me. The trail itself is in excellent shape, well traveled and packed down and there were lots of field and hills of untouched powder to play in. Of course fields of powder are also good places to get your sled stuck, which did occur, but hey, it wouldn't be any fun if you didn't get to have a little variety and teasing along the way <BG>.....

When we started out the weather look good, the sun started to show its face through the clouds and we all figured it would just get better. The riding was fun and as I said, the scenery beautiful. At about mile 50, the clouds came back and the light got flat, so flat I couldn't see that 3 foot high drift I hit at 45 MPH, not until I was airborn. At least I had a nice landing and didn't lose my sled on the way down, or maybe I should say on my bounce back to earth. After that I slowed down, well, at least for the next 1/4 mile....

Around 1:30 PM we made the river, stopped for bit and had a nice lunch break. By time we started back I began to remember that old saying "You can't fool mother nature", and instead of sunny days, we got flat light and then snow. So the return ride was a bit slower going back to Cantwell, but hey who cares, we were riding and enjoying the day.

So to those who couldn't make it, you missed a great trip, I suggest that after the snow melts away in our local riding areas you consider heading down to Cantwell.