Trail Direction Help

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

FbksSnowSafety

Trail Direction Help

#1 Post by FbksSnowSafety »

Yesterday I went to Chatanika Lodge via the SmallWoods Creek trail off of Chena Hot Springs. We went by the Fort Knowx Mine and watched the monster dumptrucks dump all the rock and later they fired off the dynomite and it created some serious thunder.

Getting to my question since I live off of Yankovich and Ballaine Rd. I need club member help on how to get to Chatanika Lodge from my house. I have done some research and found that I can make it to Ivory Jacks but then where is the trail from there. Is it across from Ivory's on Hattie Creek Rd then to Old Murphy Dome Rd? Then to the Elliot Hwy? At that point I am lost as to how to most easily get to the Chatanika Lodge from the Elliot Hwy? I remember years ago down on the Chatanika River trying to find the Lodge it took me all day. Any suggestions or help is welcome. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

cleary

#2 Post by cleary »

Hi,

To get to Chatanika from Ivroy Jacks go straight accross Goldstream Road from Ivory Jacks and up Jones Road, north for about 1 or 2 miles to where Jones Road makes a 90 degree turn to the left, west. Turn right onto the trail to the right, east. Go a hundred or so yards to an intersection with the O'conner "Creek trail and turn left, north. This will take you up the O'conner Creek valley to the Murphy Dome Road on the top of the ridge, several miles. Turn right, east onto the Murphy Dome Road. Follow the road for several miles to the Alyeska Pipeline. Turn left, north and follow the pipeline to the Chatanika Valley. When you come down into the Chatanika Valley on the pipeline turn right, east on the road just beyond the bottom of the hill. You are still south of the Chatanika River. Follow the road to the Elliot Highway and go straight accross the highway and pickup the Orange Trail that follows the old Tanana Valley Railroad bed to Chatanika. See map on Snowtraveler's webpage for this section of the trail: http://www.fairnet.org/maps1/chatanikat ... trails.pdf

If you have any questions feel free to call me at 389-2594 or email at chuck@clearysummit.com .

Chuck Johnson
Cleary Summit

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

URL to Map

http://www.fairnet.org/maps1/chatanikat ... rails.html

With this URL, you can either view the map in PDF format (and print) or download the waypoints to your GPS.