Ride Suggestions

Upcoming club rides. Who's got the skinny on the trip, when do we go, where do we meet ?

Moderator: john

JDL

#16 Post by JDL »

Hehe, say that fast 3 times...) :lol: :lol:
04 Switchback 600
05 Trail RMK
03 ProX 600

90% of all Arctic Cats are still out on the mountains/trails today.

The other 10% actaully made it back home!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#17 Post by john »

Ride List Update:

1) 10 Mile Merchatile (use to Skips Cache) to Chatanika Lodge
2) Winter Trail from Chena Rec to Angle Creek Lodge / Chena Hot Springs
3) White Mt. From Steese Hwy to Cache Creek Cabin (and probable beyond)
4) White Mt. From Elliot Hwy (28 mile) to Colorado Creek Cabin
5) Compeaus to Monderosa
6) Fairbanks to Rochesters by Clear Sky lodge
7) Salcha, via Blair Lakes (Darrell Leads)
8) Pikes to Chatanika (After the river freezes)

john
Administrator
Administrator

#18 Post by john »

1) White Mt. From Steese Hwy to Cache Creek Cabin (and probable beyond)

Saturday Nov 6th. Meet at Chatanika Lodge for breakfast at 9:00 AM

2) 10 Mile Merchatile (use to Skips Cache) to Chatanika Lodge

On Hold till creeks freeze a bit more, Probable in Dec.

3) Winter Trail from Chena Rec to Angle Creek Lodge / Chena Hot Springs

Saturday Nov 20th. Meet at Chena Lake Rec Area, by Corp of Eng office at 9:00 AM.

4) White Mt. From Elliot Hwy (28 mile) to Colorado Creek Cabin

Saturday Dec 4th. Meet at Mile 28 Elliot Hwy Parking Lot at 9:30 AM.

5) Compeaus to Monderosa

6) Fairbanks to Rochesters by Clear Sky lodge

7) Salcha, via Blair Lakes (Darrell Leads)
Pikes to Chatanika (After the river freezes)

Darrell

#19 Post by Darrell »

I rode the trail I talked about on the Oct 23 posted this forum, this week. Starting from Red Fox bar to water wagon and on to sheep creek road multiple use trail. Till I came to the railroad crossing took a right and over the bridge (I don't think you want more then one machine on this bridge at a time) till I came to a frame cabin I took the next left and stayed along O'Brien st. till I came to Goldstream Rd right, and into Ivory Jacks. Straight up Jone's road for close to a mile (Not much snow along shoulder of the road). On the Right there was a snowmachine tunnel laying close to the trail leading away from the road (Could mistake this for a drive way). Narrow trail with drive way crossings and mile or so of small mogels I would guess the trail total is 5 mile long. Up the hill and across roads in a new subdivion till I was on old Murphy Dome Road. Right on the road for a short ways off on the next trail on the left. On to the next road crossing but don't cross the road take the trail on the left side of the road next stop should be the pipeline by Vault Creek. See page 115 Alaska map book Hattie Ck rd. next on 125 elevation 1475 close to word Vault as in Vault ck. that where it should come out on the pipeline. Hope to run this Friday if the bottom doesn't drop out of the temp.

Darrell

#20 Post by Darrell »

Yea it went well on Friday :D Left Hamilton Acres at noon got to Chat at 3 pm. Return trip different way went to Cleary Summit over to Gilmore Trail down small wood valley unto Chena Hot springs trail back to home, 90 mile. Snow loaded brush in the valleys was some trouble. Crossing the Twin Creeks road on a blind corner has pucker factor to it, those mine trucks are big and I bet they don't stop to good :shock:
I'm I the only one riding ? Be nice to see some else post on trail conditions :?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Post by john »

Rides and Dates:

December 18th: 28 Mile Elliott to Colorado Creek Cabin
January 8th: 10 Mile Merchantile to Chatinika Lodge
January 15th: Compeaus to Clear Creek Butte
January 22nd: Compeaus to Salcha via Blair Lakes
February 5th: Chatinika Lodge to Wht Mtns via Haystack
February 12th: Sweet Heart Run to the Monderosa
February 19th: Mclaren Lodge run. Meet at Paxson
March 5th: 57 Mile Elliott to Windy Gap (Wht Mtns)
March 12th: Cantwell Run, meet at Backwoods Lodge
March 19th: Manley Run

April 6th - 10th: Arctic Man

For additional info check the calendar or post your questions here.

As always, ride's are cancelled if the temp at the airport is minus 10f or colder at 9:00 AM on the day of the ride.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#22 Post by john »

Revised Rides and Dates:

December 18th: 28 Mile Elliott to Colorado Creek Cabin
January 8th: 10 Mile Merchantile to Chatinika Lodge
January 15th: Chatinika Lodge to Wht Mtns via Haystack
February 5th: Compeaus to Clear Creek Butte
February 12th: Sweet Heart Run to the Monderosa
February 19th: Mclaren Lodge run. Meet at Paxson
March 5th: Snow Rondy 2005 (12-6 PM)
March 12th: Cantwell Run, meet at Backwoods Lodge
March 19th: Manley Run
April 2nd: 57 Mile Elliott to Windy Gap (Wht Mtns)

April 6th - 10th: Arctic Man

Main change was the Clear Creek Butte, Chatinika to White Mtns, Windy gap rides and the Snow Rondy 2005.

Darrell

#23 Post by Darrell »

To all of you that went on the Ride Sat into the White mt. take some time to let us ( The ones that had to work ) how was the riding? What did see? How many showed up? Etc. :?:

akitajade

#24 Post by akitajade »

The white mountains ride was great! It was the first ride for Darren and I with the club and we had a blast. Of course I can barely walk today.... The weather was gorgeous and there were moose tracks everywhere. I am a beginner having only been out on three other short rides, and everyone was so great it made us feel very welcome. Of course I was the only girl too! Thanks for a great ride!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#25 Post by john »

Trail report:

We left the parking lot at 28 mile Elliott around 10:30 and headed to the Wickersham Creek Trail Shelter. I have to say the first 5 to 6 miles of the trail was in terrible shape, lots of bumps and dips.

Took a small break at the Wickersham Creek Trail Shelter and then headed towards the Borealis-LeFevre cabin. This part of the trail was a in better shape. Found some nice powder along the way.

We ended up at Caribou Bluff Cabin, 29 miles per odometer.

The weather was great and the scenery was wonderful. We saw a bull moose who still had his antlers on, much to my surprise and a cow with twins was hanging out on the hill side just across from the Caribou Bluff Cabin.

The ride back, as always, was much faster..... So although we didn't make it to Colorado Creek Cabin, we did get a good 60 mile RT ride in and had a great time with some good folks.

Darrell

#26 Post by Darrell »

There is a trail to Colorado cabin off to the left before you get to the Borealis LeFevre cabin was that broke open?

Darrell

Run to Chat this weekend 1/8/05

#27 Post by Darrell »

Good news for Saturdays run to Chatanika. Was stopped along the Iowa dome trail in the Little Chena valley when down the trail come a couple of snowmachiners one of which was pulling a drag. They said they had been to the top of Iowa Dome and back to the horse farm with the drag. So we changed direction and left the trail set up. Could be a good trail for this weekends run to Chat.
8)

john
Administrator
Administrator

#28 Post by john »

Thanks for the update.

On your earlier post, yes it was open. Of course with all the new snow :D That may be a mute point now :D

Darrell

Run to Salcha River Lodge

#29 Post by Darrell »

With the up coming run next weekend 1/16 to Salcha Lodge, I run the route on QZI Explorer and come up 130 to 140 round trip (Gas at Lodge). We could cut some miles if we start at Northern Power instead of Compeaus. As we will be crossing the ice Bride on the end of south Cushman. Most of this run is across Army Land you may what to get a Army Receation permit which you can get from the provost marshal trailer at the front gate of Wainwright (no cost ). Myself I been logging in and out of Army land to show use. That is up to you. I hope to run the trail if it warms up this weekend to check trail and the crossing of the Tanana. This run will not be for beginers, and there may be some ditch banging (Road Ditch riding). More later. :shock:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#30 Post by john »

The next ride is the

January 15th: Chatinika Lodge to Wht Mtns via Haystack

The Salcha run is

We have a ride leader who is getting the permits for us to ride across military lands.