First time sled owner

Hi to new users, let us know who you are and where ya ride.

Moderator: john

Bulldog

First time sled owner

#1 Post by Bulldog »

I can't believe I'm born and raised in Fairbanks and just bought my first snowmobiles. I haven't rode them much yet, but am looking forward to getting a lot of miles in this winter. I went to Summit Lake last weekend and had a blast in the powder on the M1000. I live off Farmer's Loops and have been exploring some trails around my house on the Crossfire. Found some trails on the north side of Creamers Field in some little ponds and accidentally ended up on a the mushers trails, so I turned around and played in the hay fields a little. I explored up Ski Boot Hill on the trail system there and ended up on Goldstream. I encountered a guy clearing brush along the trail and helped him a little bit as well. He said he was on the F.N.S.B trail commission and they were getting ready to put in a new trail to reach the Goldstream Rec Area. My friend and I are going out today and will explore these trails some more and I'll map them with my GPS.

I'm free a lot of weekdays and always am looking for somebody to ride with. I hope to make an overland trip to Nenana soon and a run from Fairbanks to Chena Hot Springs.
2009 Arctic Cat Crossfire 1000
2009 Arctic Cat M1000
2006 Arctic Cat Bearcat 570 Longtrack

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: First time sled owner

#2 Post by john »

Welcome Bulldog,

Good sleds "thumbright:

Run your GPS tracks and let me know you got. We keep a database of trails and GPS logs on the site http://www.snowtravelers.org/gps.php Not as complete as I'd like it, but its coming along, slowly. I'm also working with a friend on a more complete trail database called Trail Mapper http://www.trailmapper.org/Mapper/tmapper.cgi, so if you'd like to help with your GPS, we'd appreciate it.

You should also check out the club rides, we do Sweatheart Run every Feb for Valentines.

FB to Chena Hot Springs is a good ride, but usually a rough trail. You could also trailer out to Angle Creek Lodge and get lots of miles in from there.

I take you work on the weekend, which is usually when the club rides are :eh: