Hello

Hi to new users, let us know who you are and where ya ride.

Moderator: john

alexofak

Hello

#1 Post by alexofak »

Hello all, I have been in fairbanks for a couple of years now and decided it was high time to pick up a couple of sleds. I wound up with a fair deal for two older sleds that seem to be in fair condition for what i want them for. Which is primarily cruising around and getting introduced to the recreational activity. Not as much jumping and aggressive riding, that may come later.
Unfortunately I do not have any immediate means of transportation for the sleds (I would like to get/build a trailer but hopefully that can wait a little while). What I was wondering is what are the laws, rules of the road and ettiquete for riding in town? Maybe not in town but in a residential area. I have seen people riding in the winter before and I see tracks all over. Are these all delinquents or is it legal? or is it illegal but not a big concern?
I am located in the neighborhood directly south of Geist Rd and was hoping to be able to use that as a sort of base station. My plan is to head south to the *beep* and ride that area or head Northwest and ride along the Parks Hwy out to Ester area. However I want to make sure I will not get into any serious trouble riding like this.
The man who sold me my sleds told me that it would be no problem. He also told me to not bother registering my sleds unless I really wanted to. I now know that it is mandatory and I have them both registered.
I have plenty of other questions as I am very green to this sport but for now I want to make sure that riding in this area is not a taboo.
Also I would like to gather a few references where there might be trail maps or other people in the know of the fairbanks area snowmachining scene. I would like to prevent myself from stepping on toes. Any classes would be good to know about as well.

Thanks everyone,
Alex

Edited: the *beep* is the levee that runs from fairbanks to NP and probably farther.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Hello

#2 Post by john »

Welcome Alex,

What sleds did you get ? As long as they've been maintained you should do good. I ask about the make/model for curiosity as to weather they are trail or powder sleds, does make a difference in the comfort of the ride and limits of riding style. A trail sled would be best for a new rider planning to ride the local trails as you've suggested you plan to do. When you decide to do some more aggressive riding, you'll want a Mtn sled.. :)

Riding in town is legal with some exception; no riding on the roads, although folks do do it, mostly the youngun I think. The law say a minimum of 3 feet from the asphalt, which usually means the middle of the ditch if there is pathway (aka paved walking trail) along the road.

You should be able to ride in the ditch on Geist or find a trail that'll get you to the Dike trail, from there you can go to Chena Lakes and have lots of options.

Most trails though will be better out of town. Chena Rec area, White Mtns, Chatanika, and others. So a truck and or trailer would be a benefit, or at least a pick up if your riding alone.

After the river freezes, the Flats are a great place to ride and play around and should be easy access for you.

Come on down to the FST membership meeting and you'll probable find others who may know the area (Geist) and how to get out of town from there.

ObiJuanAk

#3 Post by ObiJuanAk »

Welcome to the sport. From where you are, if you can get to Geist then you can run west to the Mitchell, and that provides you with a great corridor so that you can make it to the ice bridge across the Tanana to the flats south of us. Most people don't mind sleds on the residential roads as long as

a) you machine is quiet and
b) you are not riding like an asshat.

Courtesy and common sense go a long way. That said, riding on a paved right-of-way IS illegal in Fairbanks unless you are using a bridge to cross an unsafe body of water.

Come join us for the General Membership meeting on Wednesday, October 24 at Compeau's (Ski-Doo dealer). You can get many more answers to your questions, tips and advice on places to ride. Then come and see us on Saturday at the Sportsman's Warehouse parking lot for the annual swap meet. You might be able to find a trailer there for not too much $$.

Juan

paulneva

#4 Post by paulneva »

:sledwave: Welcome to snowmachining! I live on the west side of town and ride over here a lot. The rules: Riding on sidewalks and bike paths is illegal. If I remember right, the fine is $150, but I haven’t heard of a single case of enforcement in the last two years. I live in neighborhood of dirt roads and all the snowmachiners in the neighborhood use those roads (we have no ditches) to get in and out of the neighborhood. I think we are legal doing that.

To go south from your neighborhood, find the most direct route to the Chena River. Take the Chena to the Tanana and you can go anywhere.

Going north is difficult. There are ditch routes but they are no fun. Better to go down the Tanana to the Rosie Creek/Cripple creek trails and then turn north. FST will have two rides this winter that will be going that way.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

alexofak

#5 Post by alexofak »

I bought a 1994 Yamaha Vmax 600 Mountain and a 1991 Polaris Indy 500. They both seem to be in pretty good shape. The suspension is a little low on them both. The indy has a pretty worn track and could use some new carb-airbox boots. The Yamaha is pretty tough to start and has a sticky clutch. She starts first pull just requires a lot of juice to pull the starter. Sometimes she will drive the track at idle. That is about all of the issues that I know of. Other than that they are in pretty good condition.

That sounds about like what I have seen. I recently moved to Betty St.(near the college Johansen intersection for any who may not know) but have access to my old shop on Sprucewood(Geist area). What is the deal with riding downtown? I dont plan on it but it would be nice to take the chena from the Betty St. house to the Sprucewood Rd. shop and back. Thanks for the info about riding in residential areas I think that will be perfect for me. I will be pretty tame while riding around residential areas. My machines seem loud but not too bad. I think they are both stock exhaust wise. When do the rivers freeze? and how can I tell they are safe to ride on? I assume the rivers wont be the best option until well after the first snow.

My toyota pickup will probably hold one sled. Though I would have to build a ramp and thats only one sled. Maybe a good option if I tag along on one of the FST rides(which sound pretty cool but I might have to develop some skill first.)

Yeah I will have to go to the meeting and swap meet. It sounds like I have come to the right place. So compeau's on Wed (Oct, 21) and Sportsmans Warehouse on Sat the 24th. Sounds good and Thanks again.

ETA: Me and my girlfriend will be looking for helmets and other gear soon. Are there any recommendations for places to find good helmets and what helmets to look for? for example should I get a helmet with a heated visor?

paulneva

#6 Post by paulneva »

You can never ride from Betty to Sprucewood. There is a power plant downtown that dumps hot water into the Chena all year round. The Chena is generally unsafe upstream from Pike's Landing until past the power plant. The Noyes Slew will get you around that but there frequently is open water at the downstream end.

The rivers are normally safe by mid-December, but you have to learn where the holes and soft spots are.

I just wait until there are lots of tracks on the river before I go on the river. I don't need to be testing the ice for others - I let them do it for me.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

alexofak

#7 Post by alexofak »

good to know. I will probably try to avoid untraveled paths on the river. The risk of going in is too much for me to pretend like I know what I am doing. Unfortunately I missed the meeting and swapmeet due to a presentation I wound up spending the better portion of the week completing.
Well, it snowed today and I am thinking about loading a sled in my truck and taking it to an area where my girlfriend and I can cruise around a bit and get a little more familiar with the machines.
Any recommendations? maybe spots I wouldn't have to drive the truck to? Also when do the rides start happening? Does much riding occur before spring? I have been checking out some of the forums here and most of the posts are from years past. All I know is there is snow on the ground and I would like to start riding. Thanks for all the good info guys.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

Alex,

We all want to ride and I'm getting the itch. But I wouldn't ride near town yet. We need at least a couple of feet to get a good base.

Reason; need enough snow to keep the engine cool and protect the track and skis. unless you like to do lots of mechanical work, if so I have some projects you could work on :joke:

If your into going out of town I hear they've gotten more snow towards Summit (Paxson area) but even that is minimal.

irshpryd40

#9 Post by irshpryd40 »

I agree with John. Not enough snow as of yet. You risk more damage than good riding this early. Usually for a trail sled allow atleast 6 in of snow if not more. HiFax are cheap but if you are inexpeirenced with the maintenance could end up costing you alot more in repairs. Everyone is itching to go ride (especially me), but I would wait a week or so to let us get a good base.

alexofak

#10 Post by alexofak »

right on, it will be tough but I can wait. Maybe I can spend the time working on a loading system for my truck. Thanks for saving my sleds.

alexofak

#11 Post by alexofak »

Well I finally finished my truck ramp and took a few photos of my sleds for you all. Nothing special but maybe you can help let me know if I got swindled or got a good deal. The sled ramp design was sort of a copy of this ramp. Here are the photos:

My design was heavily inspired by the build at this link: http://www.snowmobileforum.com/general- ... ickup.html

Edited to make sure it is clear I am giving credit where it is due.
Last edited by alexofak on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#12 Post by john »

See ya been busy :)

Now all you need is hydralic system, some rollers and you can dump the ramps, just tie your sled on the platform and hold the up button...

irshpryd40

#13 Post by irshpryd40 »

If you need some skis for that Polaris let me know I have a set of plastic ones for it. The deck looks real good. Where did you get the ski runners for your deck at? I need to get some of those for my trailer. Very Nice Work.

alexofak

#14 Post by alexofak »

haha yeah I have been pretty busy. It was a neat project. I would love to design and build a hydraulic system like that. Unfortunately, a hundred bucks or so of lumber is the budget limit for now. Maybe next season i will have the upgraded system. New skis? Yeah the ones on the polaris have some pretty good dents. Maybe it would be good to upgrade. What are the benefits of plastic skis? price? I might be interested. The ski runners are garage door moulding from home depot, the stuff is practically made for it. It comes in 10 and 7 foot lengths, flip it upside down and you are good to go. Thanks for the good word.

looks like the forecast for the coming week is in our favor, hopefully next weekend we will be out in the snow.

ETA: The 10' moulding (what I used) seemed to have larger channels, just FYI.

irshpryd40

#15 Post by irshpryd40 »

Plastic skis are alot better they don't dent and are a bit lighter. If you want them let me know they are just taking up space in my garage and want to get rid of them.