Stalling out... =(

Tune ups, maintenance, and general help on your sleds

Moderator: john

Summit800

Re: Stalling out... =(

#16 Post by Summit800 »

I believe she said that its a fanner, Tony.

I would check the intake gaskets and fan belt, if equipped that is.

hvhavel

#17 Post by hvhavel »

Fan cooled is correct. Phillips Recreation said they won't know the why until they open the engine up - they gave me a range from $500 to $3000 depending on what all is broke inside. I'll try to remember to ask for the parts back after I get it fixed.

While I have jets, I have never ridden anything more mountainous than the Whites, so I've left the factory ones in. When I bought the snowmachine they did tell me for general use, the factory jets should be fine... I do know that warm weather starts are much more difficult than -20 below starts (starting is easier as the temperature goes down.)

I'll know more after the "rebuild".

TheBearAk

#18 Post by TheBearAk »

I went back and re-read the messages and I'd bet that it had nothing to do with overheating. But rather a ring or skirt broke.

I've had machines break the piston skirt. It acts like it is seizing, but once the debris is gone (typically spits out the exhaust in small chunks). It will turn over and even start, but have no power. It could also scratch the cylinder like that.

Solution is to pull the head and that cylinder apart and hone (diamond hone) out the cylinder, new piston and rings and it is set to go.

Piston ranges from around $60 to $150. SPI is a good aftermarket OEM style piston. The other two, WiseCo and {draws a blank} are significantly more expensive.

But, like you said, they need to pull it apart to check. Actually, you can look through the exhaust port and see the exhaust side of the piston, which is the common side to break.

Something you can check is simply remove the exhaust and shake it. If it rattles, it may have pieces of a piston or rings in there.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

hvhavel

#19 Post by hvhavel »

TheBearAk - This sounds like what they told me, other than they thought what-ever was wrong was likely caused by running too lean (but they weren't sure.)

What would cause a ring or skirt to break? I don't know much about snowmachine maintainance, so I figure I did something wrong - and I'd like to not do whatever it is again (I like to make new mistakes instead of the old ones over and over again :wall: )

Summit800

#20 Post by Summit800 »

There is absolutely nothing that you could have done to prevent a ring or a skirt from breaking .

Normally a ring fails either due to old age and flaking, or most commonly the indexing pin failes in its bore.(this keeps the ring from rotating on the piston and catching the ring end on a cylinder port hole) Skirts break from either a manufacturing flaw, or interference form something else, like a piston ring. Or exessive piston slap ( not common in a 2 stroke)

Now a lean condition may have been preventable, If you were to look at the spark plugs at the right time and check the color.