Yamaha 2009 Bravo 250 thumb and grip heaters

Yamaha

Moderator: john

user6244

Yamaha 2009 Bravo 250 thumb and grip heaters

#1 Post by user6244 »

Say I recently purchased grips and thumb heater Kimpex model. I installed them a few days ago per the instructions to the exception that I didn't use separate switches.
I basically ran the heater grips in series with a switch that sends the voltage through the resistor or direct.As for the thumb heater it has 3 wires power in, hi, low.

I added a piggy back for power wire too thumb then landed the hi and low wire in parrallel with the hi low side of the grips in other words the hi wire for the thumb was landed on the same side as the hi wire for the grips and the low wire was landed on the other side of the resistor.

Does that make sense?

If you can make out what I described above great.
What I am concerned with is that the thumb heating element despite wearing gloves got really hot to the point I shut it off. later I switched it back on. It didn't seem to work after that. Is it possible to wire this up wrong?
I was certain also that the thumb element made full contact with the thumb surface.
Is it possible that it could be a defective unit or is likely head space and timing of the installer?

ObiJuanAk

Re: Yamaha 2009 Bravo 250 thumb and grip heaters

#2 Post by ObiJuanAk »

Usually you want separate switches because the thumb warmer heats up way faster than the grip warmers, so you need independent control so you don't fry your thumb before your hands get warm. Trace back your wiring to make sure nothing melted/shorted. I would also test it independently to make sure the heating element still works. You did install an online fuse, didn't you? :oops:

Good luck!

user6244

#3 Post by user6244 »

Actually based on the schematic located in the manual, there is nothing fused at all on this none battery machine and the distructions claimed that if there wasn't any fuses for the rest of the system one shouldn't be required for the grips or thumb heater.
I have not had a chance to check it out to see just what happened. The only good thing so far though as while it seemed to quit working I don't think I let the smoke out of the wires :)
Your right about the thumb getting warmer faster for sure and will backup and regroup and add the other switch or tempted to add a variable resistor on the dash too dial in a comfortable temp :)

ObiJuanAk

#4 Post by ObiJuanAk »

There is a very good variable resistor (actually, I think it pulses the power rather than bleed it out as heat) called the Heatroller. I've heard nothing but good things from the motorcycle rider community. You can even get a double controller for the grips and the thumb warmers. Not cheap, but very good. "thumbright:

See: http://www.warmnsafe.com/index.php?main ... h=65_71_83

Yes, it is important to keep the magic smoke within the wires, that's why I recommended the in-line fuses :clown:

user6244

#5 Post by user6244 »

Hey thanks for the link. I will see about adding a fuse as well :)