Increase in Snowmobile Registration Fees

We all hate it, but its forced upon us. Any local political issues we should know about ??

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Increase in Snowmobile Registration Fees

#1 Post by john »

Please email or call your representative on your opinion of an increase in the annual cost of snowmobile registration fees to $20.00

Suggestion Position:

To local state Representative:

The current effort to increase registration fees on snowmobiles from $5.00 to $10.00 per year is not founded. The basis for current efforts is solely on faulty and incomplete data gathered at a winter show last October in Anchorage. Participants at the show were asked to complete the survey and asked if they would support an increase in fees if trails in and around the Anchorage area were improved. The number of completed surveys was near 500. This survey does not include riders or clubs such as the Interior of Alaska or other areas outside of Anchorage.
Since the Department of Natural Resources and State Parks does not receive full funding from the nearly 55,000 snowmobiles registered and the amount given to SnowTrac is capped at $200,000.00 per year, we cannot support any increase to a fund that is used for programs enjoyed by multiple users and other non-motorized participants that receive benefits solely at the expense of the motorized user.

Until the current system is improved so that the amount of vehicles registered equals the amount of funds received at the SnowTrac advisory panel established by the Legislature is received, we cannot support any efforts to increase our fees.

---------------------------

Sen. Joe Paskvan
P.O. Box 71976
Fairbanks, AK 99707
Senator_Joe_Paskvan@legis.state.ak.us

Rep. David Guttenberg
State Capitol, Room 418
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-4457
800-928-4457
fax: 907-465-3519

Rep. Scott Kawasaki
State Capitol, Room 428
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-3466
fax: 907-465-2937
Rep_Scott_Kawasaki@legis.state.ak.us

Rep. Mike Kelly
State Capitol, Room 513
907-465-4976
866-465-4976
fax: 907-465-3883
Rep_Mike_Kelly@legis.state.ak.us

Rep. Jay Ramras
State Capitol, Room 118
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-3004
877-465-3004
fax: 907-465-2070
Rep_Jay_Ramras@legis.state.ak.us

Sen. Gene Therriault
Legislative Session Contact:
State Capitol, Room 427
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-4797
800-860-4797
fax: 907-465-3884
Senator_Gene_Therriault@legis.state.ak.us

Sen. Joe Thomas
State Capitol, Room 510
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-2327
fax: 907-465-5241
Senator_Joe_Thomas@legis.state.ak.us

John Coghill
State Capitol, Room 214
Juneau, AK 99801-1182
907-465-3719
877-465-3719
fax: 907-465-3258
Rep_John_Coghill@legis.state.ak.us

Darrell

Re: Increase in Snowmobile Registration Fees

#2 Post by Darrell »

Thanks John
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Please contact the folks listed. I just saw a draft to the amendment DNR is trying to get through.

It will increase snowmachine annual registration from $5.00 to $20.00

Darrell

#4 Post by Darrell »

E mail for

David Guttenberg
District 8- Democrat

Elected to the House

2002, 2004, 2006

COMMITTEE MEMBERSHIP & LEADERSHIP POSITIONS

Legislative Session Contact:

State Capitol, Room 418

Juneau, AK 99801-1182

907-465-4457

800-928-4457

fax: 907-465-3519

Rep_David_Guttenberg@legis.state.ak.us

Interim Contact:

1292 Sadler Wy Ste 304
Fairbanks, AK 99701
907-456-8172
fax: 907-456-2490

Rep. Guttenberg's Personal Web

Darrell

#5 Post by Darrell »

Some one ask me is this State Park's pulling for this or is it ASSA?

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=141216

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Both

ASSA is writing it and DNR is giving input on how it should it read.

REVITUP

#7 Post by REVITUP »

This is the response I received from Mike Kelly:

Thank you for taking the time to send your email expressing concern about the possible increase in the snowmobile licensing fee to $10.00 annually. When I received your email, I asked my staff person, Ms. Sheila Peterson, to determine what the status of this proposed increase. Sheila talked to Ms. Samantha Carroll, Special Assistant, and learned the following:

1. In next year's capital budget, the FY10 budget that is under review by the legislature, there is $250,000 for "Snowmobile Trail Development and Program Grants."

2. The money for the grant program that is in the FY10 budget is collected this year in 2009.

3. To raise the registration fee from $5.00 to $10.00, it will be necessary to make a change in statute and, as of now, there are no bills before the legislature that will make that change. If there is a move to make this increase, I will let you know.

4. As you probably know, the money that is collected from the snowmobile registration fee is appropriated to the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) who then awards grants on the recommendation of the Sno-Trac Advisory Board.

In order to formally receive this money, DNR is given authority to accept the money (receipt authority in legislative terms). The amount of "receipt authority" that the DNR has is the only limit placed on how much snowmobile money can be awarded to grants.

5. IF the fee is increased to $10.00, the legislature would also increase DNR's "receipt authority" so that all the snowmobile dollars collected would be eligible for the grant program.

Thank you for bringing the possible fee increase to my attention. I appreciate the head's up and please keep in touch.

Mike Kelly

Darrell

#8 Post by Darrell »

REVITUP

#9 Post by REVITUP »

For those that didn't make the meeting last night and a reminder for those that did.....I received an email yesterday that was sent out in regards to the increase in reg fees. The draft being proposed at this time would raise the current registration fees to $40 for two years. It is more important than ever to let our reps know how we feel about this, even though it may not make it to or through the legislature this session. If we don't let these people know now, we will pay for it later. We will have to continue letting them know that we do not support this increase and the time to start is now.

paulneva

#10 Post by paulneva »

Who or what agency has drafted the legislation? It will make for a better e-mail.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#11 Post by john »

It's not an agency per sa. ASSA drafted the legistration and is trying to get a state legislature to sponsor it on the legislative floor.

Again, our best efforts are to contact our representatives and inform them of our disagreement in this type of legislation to increase the registration fees.

As noted last night, as it currently stands, DNR can only accept $200,000.00 for SnoTrac, but an increase to $40.00 annual would generate approximately $1.2 mil. So in short, all we'd be doing is giving the state more of our $ to the general fund with no current means to see those funds used for trails.

I re-read Mike Kelly's comments above and although his thoughts may be in the right place i.e increasing DNR's authority to spend more on SnoTrac, DMV currently collects $265,000.00 in registration fees, but SnoTrac can only receive $199,999.00 of it. So in essence, were already giving the state an additional $65,000.00... enough I say !

Now, if the SnoTrac can get it raised to say $500,000.00 a year and we "motorized trail users" were guaranteed a minimum of 50% of those funds, then I might be open to supporting some kind of increase. But don't ask me to give the gov't more money on a "Trust us we'll get more trails done" verbal comment with no written guarantee except to fund the states general fund, and add to this that 2/3's or so of what they now collect goes to "non-motorized" trail users.

No way !

Darrell

#12 Post by Darrell »

Yo John how about about reposting your comment on the snowest site
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread ... 216&page=2

or can I quote you.

mit

#13 Post by mit »

I sincerely hope that the Snow Travelers organization will represent the riders that will never ride on an approved trail. This means the trappers that break their own trails every year, the folks that live in the Bush that never ride within a 100 miles of a road. Changes need to be made in the Snowmachine Tax law, I vote for abolishing it altogether! If not then give exemptions to the trappers and cabin owners that never bring their snowmachine close to the road system or a DNR money trail, same for the Boat Tax. The trails on the DNR maps should be paid for buy those users not non-users just like we don't like it that none motorized users are getting a free ride or that wildlife viewers aren't paying for game management! They should be like the boat ramp fee pay for it when you use it! Where citations written at Arctic man for machines that were not being ridden? This topic really *beep* me off! :feedup:
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

REVITUP

#14 Post by REVITUP »

Actually the original message was from Bill Luck (DNR), the draft reg increase bill was provided from Rep. Munoz office and I received the copy from Mark Wilke who is on SnowTRAC. Their general idea is to get $40 for two years and THEN if it's not allocated to DNR for SnowTRAC and grooming pool projects, have the option to reduce. In their own meeting minutes they state that 600 members of one club had no problem with raising it to $10-$15 per year but "buckled" at a higher rate.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by john »

Darrell, go ahead and quote me if you'd like. Seems to be a lot of support for the increase on SnoWest

Revitup, if anyone believes that the state would lower your registration fees after they got it raised, I have bridge I'll sell them, promise I'll refund the funds if the bridge isn't there :rolf: