Cantwell and AHTNA Lands

We all hate it, but its forced upon us. Any local political issues we should know about ??

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Cantwell and AHTNA Lands

#1 Post by john »

Some of you have heard about the issue with AHTNA Lands along the Parks Hwy, starting north of Cantwell and going south to mile mark 191. Some folks have received notices on their vehicles when parking in the pull out along this section of the Parks Hwy.

Hopefully this will help to clarify and give those of you who haven't heard about this a little insight.

AHTNA owns a majority of the lands along the the section of the Parks Hwy from Mile Mark 191 to Mile Mark 230. However, they do not have any authority in the DOT right-a-way, the width of which is currently unknown, but should be about 50 to 200 feet on either side of the edge of the road.

Now, with that said, it is private property and as responsible sledders we do not have the right to trespasse on private property without the owners permission. AHTNA will sell an access permit allowing the permit holder permission to pass through their lands. Price varies and you'd do better to contact AHTNA for the cost.

Don't want to pay for a permit, neither do I, so I have attached 2 items below. 1. A Post (image of the post) from AHTNA on the ASSA web site, saying pretty much the same as above, but you should read it. 2. A map showing sections of the area in question that is "not" owned by AHTNA and which we can use to get east and west of their land boundary without having to pass through their lands. No permit required.

Their actions is requiring a permit are new, even though they have owned the lands since 1971. But again it is private lands and all that goes with that applies.. My plans are t park in the non-AHNA owned area or if the pull outs are full, park in the DOT pull out and ride along the rode within the DOT right-a-way untill I get to the area I can use to bypass their land and get (mostly) west of their lands to Dunkels.

These images are large and slow to load, but the only way I couldn't get to you in a decent readable format.

ASSA Post

Cantwell Map

Shane

Enough is Enough

#2 Post by Shane »

My mother taught me that if I couldn't say anything nice I shouldn't say anything at all.
But I have to stand up and take issue with the Athna Native Corporation. I can understand not allowing hunting on their lands but to make other alaskans pay fees to cross or recreate is one of the stupidest things I have heard in a long time. Their resources are not being damage or depleted by Alaskans crossing, camping, hiking, skiing, biking, horseback riding, 4-wheeling or snow machining. I don't think it's a matter of a few bad apples ruining it for everyone. I think it is just mean spirited and greedy. It makes my blood boil. Last summer Athna surveyed all their lands in the Chitna area, cutting access to the fish wheels in half, along with some of the campsites across the road in the state campground. During high water next year we'll have to cross Athna land to get to my family's wheel that we have been running since 1978. I hope the people of Alaska and the State grow some balls and stop this ridiculous scheme before the other corporations see this as a money maker as well. Alaska might soon be trapped by "locked up" lands in our own state. I know that residents of Chitna have set fire to some of Athna's road blocks and destroyed a lot of survey markers in protest. The residents of Cantwell must be just as alarmed at the possibility of winter tourism being damaged by greedy jerks. I thought we were learning to get along and respect each other, shame on you Athna!

mit

BUY stock

#3 Post by mit »

Become a share holder?
Tim Berg
The Snowmachine Registration, needs to be Repealed!

mountaicat800

#4 Post by mountaicat800 »

you can not become a sharholder unless some one wills their stocks to you. I work for a sub of Ahtna and I belong to other Native Corporations. They have the right to enforce rules or guidelines while on their property. Shane how would you like people going through your property to ride a snowmachine or hunt or fish?
2007 M8 153 Arctic Cat Rules

REVITUP

Ahtna lands

#5 Post by REVITUP »

I don't see any reason why Ahtna can't issue permits (without cost) to folks wanting to access their land, Alyeska and the military do it and it seems to work just fine. This is their property but not quite the same as someone going through the property your house is on to hunt, fish, etc. Most people out hunting, fishing, camping or whatever are not the ones that leave garbage and destroy things just for the "fun" of being destructive. Such as the mighty sign-hunter that shoots up road signs for what? This whole situation is just going to sour more people on Ahtna in general which will cause more problems. As far as the DOT right-of-way, they really need to back off and realize that harrassing anyone parked there for whatever reason, is exactly that, harrassment, they could possibly be facing some serious legal problems by their own actions.