640 Alpine parts

Technical discussion related to engine performance, clutching, setup, and other snowmachine modifications.

Moderator: john

uhldwm

640 Alpine parts

#1 Post by uhldwm »

This is by no means a racing machine, but I know of a ‘77 Alpine with burned 640 engine, BUT virtually new tracks, a very good cowl, windshield, probably transmission, and many very good bogies as well as other parts. It even has a Factory Service Manual. If you know anyone possibly interested, please have them contact me. The club that owns it asked be to see if I could find a buyer for them and as soon as I get the manual delivered to me I will be putting it up for sale for them. Gad, those tracks alone are going for $546.00 each at Dennis Kirk and I know the club will take what they can get. Anyone with an Alpine of near that vintage would be foolish not to at least check it out for the spare tracks alone. I have been told that these old workhorses still have a very faithful following and someone will fall all over themselves to get this one IF we can find them and there comes the rub. If you can help, or Forward this it would be greatly appreciated. I am doing this for the club and get nothing out of it myself. The machine is now located in Knik.

Thanks,
Jim
uhldwm@mtaonline.net
Last edited by uhldwm on Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kerski

Re: 640 Alpine parts

#2 Post by kerski »

Can we see a photo?

uhldwm

#3 Post by uhldwm »

Sorry, I still can't figure out how to put a photo up here as I can capture them, as I do for e-mail, but they won't Paste here. Probably something simple I just don't know how to do. :wall: I am able to e-mail photos, so if you would like to see the machine, just send me a good e-mail address to uhldwm@mtaonline.net and I should be able to e-mail back photos. I sure don't want to see this machine wind up on the scrap pile as someone out there will be kicking themselves even if it is down here. Any bid would be accepted and maybe they will let it go before going on Craig's List if they get one that is reasonable.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

Some more details and an image
1977 Ski Doo Alpine 640

This machine caught fire and the engine it toast, maybe some internal parts such as the crank, rods and pistons are useable. As to the transmission, I am unsure, but the gears are probably OK as there was no problem in that regard last I saw it running. This is the one forward, one reverse and neutral transmission. The tracks are near new and still have the rubber spurs sticking out all over both of them. Dennis Kirk offers these for $549.00 each, so there are over $1,000.00 worth of tracks alone on this machine. Many of the bogie wheels are in excellent condition, others are useable, and there are some spares as well as the nylon drive gears. The tail light and frame are still good, and best of all next to the near new tracks is that the cowl and windshield are in very good condition, not like most Alpines from this era. There are a couple of minor, and easily repairable cracks in the fiberglass, but of no real consequence. The machine has a very nice steel, covered, auxiliary battery case, and the gas tank seems to be undamaged by the fire.

The machine also comes with a Ski Doo Factory Service Manual easily worth $50.00 alone as they are collectors items and invaluable for those having one of these old vintage machines.

The tracks also fit the older 250 and 300 Alpines as well as the MotoSki Nuvik according to the chart at the Dennis Kirk site.

The club that owns the machine is not in a position to spend a lot of money on this machine, but the Alpines are highly prized for their ability to work in tough conditions and have a very faithful following for these old double track workhorses. They will entertain offers between (DATE) and (DATE) and the highest bidder takes all. I am not a dealer, just a member trying to help them out.

The machine is located in Knik and can be inspected by calling Jim at 376-2789, or Bob at 892-8910. This is a heck of a find for someone with one of the older bogie wheel Alpines and the tracks fit all the long track Alpine units from what I have been told. Best to figure you are buying the machine for the tracks, the cowling and the manual and for spare parts, but this can be picked up at one heck of a deal compared to what you would have to pay for probably one used track alone, and probably less.
MVC-003S (1).JPG

uhldwm

#5 Post by uhldwm »

Yes. the photo John was able to post for me is of the machine AFTER the fire and as it sits at this moment. The person riding it at the time was able to get the cowl / hood off and tried to put the fire out. Miraculously, the gas tank was not harmed, but everything in back of the intake manifold was melted as well as the seats burned. All other parts on the machine appear to be Ok and look pretty much as pictured. Anyone down the Knik area or that knows someone that is close enough to drive out here and look it over for them, I can be contacted through uhldwm@mtaonline.net , or at 376-2789.

Jim

TheBearAk

#6 Post by TheBearAk »

Just saw this on Craiglist:

http://fairbanks.craigslist.org/sno/4101806711.html

Same engine. $300 and what ever they want for the Alpine...
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

coldsmoke

#7 Post by coldsmoke »

for some reason I cant email you for info on buying can you shoot me email with what thye want for it

mecoldsmoke@hotmail.com

mike

uhldwm

#8 Post by uhldwm »

I just tried a test by clicking on the above address and it came up in e-mail format. I sent it to myself and it came right through. ???? Feel free to call if you wish at 376-2789

Jim

uhldwm

#9 Post by uhldwm »

This machine is now on Craig's List at 1977 Ski Doo Alpine 640

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/spo/4147123559.html

As long as the machine is paid for there is no immediate rush to pick it up. So if you know someone in this area that could look at it for you, and you decide you want it, I can hold it for a reasonable time for you until you can arrange picking it up.

uhldwm

#10 Post by uhldwm »

This machine is SOLD. :sledwave:

Thank you to all the folks at Fairbanks Snow Travelers for your help. I really appreciate it, and if I can ever be of help to anyone down here, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Jim