Trail Maintenance

Summer time is for ATV riding and trail work. Post your thoughts, trail maintenance wants and any summer rides here

Moderator: john

john
Administrator
Administrator

Trail Maintenance

#1 Post by john »

We need to start scheduling some trail maintenance work.

The trail connector between Nordale Road and the Winter Trail needs some widening and brushing.

I'd also like to see us mark and GPS the trails out of Cleary up the old Mail Trail.

cleary

#2 Post by cleary »

John,

I have most of the Mail Trail (Historic Circle Fairbanks Trail) GPS'd. The part we need to figure out is the Sorrels Creek section. From about mile 13 to the head of Sorrels Creek the trail is pretty much unusable in the winter as it is mostly above timber line and blown clear of snow. I believe we can use the trail that bypasses this down in Sorrels Creek. The problem with that is that the old trail up the creek is a swamp. Need to wait until freeze up to travel that part with 4-wheelers. Of course that means next fall. A lot of downed trees as the fire burned through there.

A trail that we could work on soon is from Gilmore Dome to Iowa Dome around the west and south sides of Last Chance Creek. This would bypass the Fish Creek Crossing on the Chatanika/Chena Hot Springs Road Trail that we always have to wait to freeze over before we can use the Chatanika Trail. I'd be glad to lead this charge. With a decent crew and 3 or 4 chain saws we should be able to do it in a day. Keep in mind I'm an optimist.

Be happy to supply the maps and tracks of any of the trails I have GPS'd.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

We went up Sorrels Creek last November and it could use a bit of work but wasn't too bad, of course we weren't sure which way the trail actually went so I might way off here. Afer freeze up sounds good to me :) I'd really like to see us open this up again as a winter trail.

Bypassing Fish Creek would be a big improvement. Let's look at doing a scout trip over the area. Were you thinking of coming in from the Alpha trail and start there or from the CHSR side ? If we do the CHSR side we'll need to talk to the mine folks again about access and schedule this one in.

I'll take you up on those maps when we get together and go over the trails.