looking for suggestions from the locals

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

kkivie

looking for suggestions from the locals

#1 Post by kkivie »

Hello, all. I am coming up to Fairbanks from Valdez for meetings on 3/14 - 3/15 and am looking to do some riding in the evenings after and am looking for suggestions. I would prefer fairly close. I like to just tear up some swamps, some boondocking, ya know nothing too serious just play (stress relief) Dont mind trails. I ride a 2005 Yamaha Vector Mountain. Thanks

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: looking for suggestions from the locals

#2 Post by john »

Welcome to Fairbanks.

For some short evening rides I'd suggest the Flats across the river or even the Tanana River.

if you run the river, watch for open leads and if you go into the Flats, bring a GPS along. Lots of open fields in the Flats and very easy to get lost. If its flat light days I'd go for the Flats. We have a map and GPS track log at http://www.snowtravelers.org/Clear_Cree ... s_Loop.php that would get you started in the Flats.

If you have a little more time you could always drive up either the Steese of Elliott hwys to access the White Mtn trail system, info and maps available at http://www.blm.gov/ak/st/en/prog/nlcs/white_mtns.html

Enjoy your stay.

Bashley

#3 Post by Bashley »

I second the flats. The snow is in great shape and the swamps are endless. I burned almost a whole tank today and didn't go more than 15 miles from the house (I live on the Chena near Pikes). If you need a guide just shout, I'm sure someone will be available to ride.
'06 Yamaha Attak
'09 M8 HCR

txcanyon

#4 Post by txcanyon »

Bashley wrote:I second the flats. The snow is in great shape and the swamps are endless. I burned almost a whole tank today and didn't go more than 15 miles from the house (I live on the Chena near Pikes). If you need a guide just shout, I'm sure someone will be available to ride.
Where specifically are you talking about? Whats the snow like out there?

jasjew

#5 Post by jasjew »

The flats are the place where you got stuck :rolf: the weekend before the Mondo trip...

txcanyon

#6 Post by txcanyon »

Thats what I thought.. and hey... only 1 time getting stuck considering that was the first time I took that sled out and the 2nd time I had ever been on a sled.

kkivie

#7 Post by kkivie »

thanks for the suggestions. I will be staying at pikes, where are the flats from there? Where should I park at? Thanks again

TheBearAk

#8 Post by TheBearAk »

Pikes is a good starting point. Typically you can take the river down to the mouth and then hit the flats from there. With all this warm weather, I'm not sure how good the river is though.
1996 Skidoo Touring E 380
1995 Skidoo Summit 583

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

The Chena is the fastest way to the Flats from Pikes, however, the Chena is probable open there or maybe not, I haven't looked at this season. If not, just run it down stream, probable tracks on it if its in decent shape, once you get to the Tanana, just follow the track across it and your in the Flats.

If its not useable (Chena) ask for directions to the Pump House on Chena Pump Road, drive past the Pump House a few more miles and you'll see a park on your left, it's at the base of the Hill you'll come to. This is Chena Pump Landing and a good place to park. From here you'll see all kinds of tracks on the river.

Best option IMHO, is to head down river, away from town, go about 4 miles or so and you should see some tracks heading across the river to a slough, follow the slough a couple miles to where it exits the river/slough, your now in the flats. Lots of places to ride and get lost in.

Suggest you download one of our online tracks, the best, again, IMHO, would be http://www.snowtravelers.org/Clear_Cree ... s_Loop.php

God luck and enjoy.