Ft Wainwright to Chena

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

jasjew

Ft Wainwright to Chena

#1 Post by jasjew »

Has anybody traveled on the trail from Birch Hill (FT Wainwright side) to Chena Hot springs? I did a ride on post wit the Outdoor Rec and the guide pointed the trail out to me. Being new to the area, I did not just wan to hop on it and try to make my way to Chena. I would like to make the trip out there some weekend if some people are intersted and have made the trip.

Jason

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Ft Wainwright to Chena

#2 Post by john »

Hey Jason,

It's the Winter Trail all the way. We use to make that one of annual rides but haven't done it for a few years.

We do have a Track Log, Waypoints, Maps, and Google Earth view of the trail at http://www.snowtravelers.org/Fai2ChenaHS.php

You can download the track file and import it to your GPS. It's nice ride and usually bumpy, look out for dog mushers, they use the winter trail a lot.

Rule of thumb is to pull off the trail when you run into a dog team on the trail and shut off the motor.

I may be up for an "un" planned run on the winter trail, at least up to Angle Creek. I don't go to the Hot Springs Resort as they prohibit private snowmachines on their property.

If you do go, the trail gets a bit confusing near Pleasant Valley, it's not well defined in that area, just keep toward the Chena Hot Springs Road and you'll be OK.