Arctic man 2012

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

Darrell

Arctic man 2012

#1 Post by Darrell »

The Denali hwy is being plowed thanks to our friends at BLM. They are in a big hurry to get a crusher into tangle camp ground this spring, unknown if there is a trail along the road or best case Allen would have pulled his groomer (He report to be at A man camp) and made a trail into Fielding lake from the Maclaren lodge.
The snow is set good around the area and the pipeline is great shape from Paxson to Arctic man. Note already camper at 7 mile Denali pull out. Unknown just how far back they are on clearing the road hope to find out how it is getting to Maclaren today..
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

billy6384

Re: Arctic man 2012

#2 Post by billy6384 »

I'm headed to Alpine creek lodge this weekend and trying to decide if I should go the Paxon side since they are plowing the road to make my ride in shorter.
But thats if i can park somewhere thats not in the way of the plowing crew and still get my sleds to the unplowed part of the Denali???? Or just ride the whole
way from Cantwell. Was gonna call at Maclaren Lodge to see if they know any more about it. Any suggestions? :eh:
2018 XF High Country 800 141"
2010 Crossfire 800 141"/Melissa's sled

cleary

#3 Post by cleary »

billy6384 wrote:I'm headed to Alpine creek lodge this weekend and trying to decide if I should go the Paxon side since they are plowing the road to make my ride in shorter.
But thats if i can park somewhere thats not in the way of the plowing crew and still get my sleds to the unplowed part of the Denali???? Or just ride the whole
way from Cantwell. Was gonna call at Maclaren Lodge to see if they know any more about it. Any suggestions? :eh:

Hey Billy,

A couple years we followed them as they progressed. They always cleared a good sized spot where they stopped each day. They even stopped on their way out each day to tell us how far they had made it. We would then move to that spot and sled from there the next day. Nice bunch of guys.

Happy Sledding,

Chuck :big_grin:

billy6384

#4 Post by billy6384 »

Hmm, sounds good! Thanks Chuck! Cool pic!

Summit800

#5 Post by Summit800 »

In the past, the state would stop plowing on Thursday afternoon, and resume on Monday AM, they would leave a large turnaround where they stop for the evening.
Get your riding in early, I suspect the snow will be a tad punchy with the mid day sun.

billy6384

#6 Post by billy6384 »

Yeah thats kind of what I planned on. The weather should be beautiful though, we'll make the most of it! :grtruckn:

Darrell

#7 Post by Darrell »

After getting done with Arctic Man Saturday morning we loaded up the trailer and drove to the end of the plowed road which at time was at 13 mile overlook of hungry hollow creek. Blower had just finish plowing out the parking lot and off we went to Glacier gap and into 7 mile lake. Great ride across high valley, a little soft, but 7 mile area, nice. Up the stair case to check out Eureka valley, also wonderful. Back to Allen's groom trail into the Maclaren lodge. Then back across the high valley to the gravel pit just pass Swede lake where the road was plowed as they are working on the road at least 6 days a week. Suk got stuck along side the road east of swede its was the only time anyone got stuck the hole trip.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

billy6384

#8 Post by billy6384 »

Had a great weekend out at Alpine creek lodge. We went out the Paxson side Saturday morning around 10 and they were just past mile 12 then. The ride out was great, we did a
lot of our riding just 6 miles east of the lodge at mile 62. Snow was still really deep but got quite soft late afternoon and evening, hills were really fun to climb though! Headed back
Sunday around noon and they had it plowed to mile 17. Thanks to Alan at Maclaren he had most of the ditch groomed and was pretty easy to get back to the truck. Was a beautiful
weekend for riding, glad Melissa and I didn"t miss it! Couldn't believe the same day I got back from riding it was 60 degrees in Fairbanks!