Nome Creek

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

kjp

Nome Creek

#1 Post by kjp »

Went in to Nome Creek on Saturday 4/15, the road has been plowed from the Steese all the way to Nome Creek. Looks like they are getting ready to do some road constuction in there. Weather and snow were great!

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

How'd ya get in :?: was there snow on the side :?: We were thinking about going to Chatanika this coming Saturday or maybe up to 39 mile Steese.

cleary

#3 Post by cleary »

Last I heard DOT is going to rebuild the US Creek Road from mile 57 Steese into Nome Creek. It needs it! Glad to hear that it's plowed. Have to drive up there. We rode from Cleary Summit to Chatanika and back last night. We have found an alternate route from Cleary Summit to the Circle Trail trailhead that bypasses the Fairbanks Creek Road that gets plowed every spring. We have snowshoed, skiied and now sledded it in the last couple of days. Will have to do some work on it this summer. Will put it on a map and post it later.

:D Chuck :D

Darrell

Yea

#4 Post by Darrell »

Good deal, when looking for a place to go on a day trip, and then they plow that road early every year it is pain, a bypass trail is a great idea :idea:

kjp

#5 Post by kjp »

We first unloaded at the Steese and started in, but had to load back up and then drove the trucks all the way to Nome Creek and unloaded again. Still plenty of snow back there. The construction is supposed to be on Moose Creek, first creek heading towards Ophir Creek on the Nome Creek Road.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

Thanks for the info Chuck. The road is plowed to the bridge, 7 miles. We had a great run from there back to Mt Pinnell campground and took the trail just before the campground. It was an excellent trip and we were all worn out by time we got back to the rigs.

Up the trail to ridge on top and along the ridge line to where you tunr off to drop down to quartz creek (I think its quartz creek), when we headed down off the ridges we ran into to the trees and then the work started. It was 4 feet of sugary powder and got tough to make it all the way down, in fact we didn't. Everyone got stuck :) with the exception of Darrell on his SkiDoo. Man talk about work, it was almost as bad as our trip last month in the Dunkels. We had to side hill and the drifts would just force our sleds down the hill side into the 4 feet of sugar.

Must of taken us 2 hours to get back out and up the hill a couple a miles...

I'll post some photos a little later. I can tell this, it was the biggest work I've had all season trying to climb that powder up hile and through the trees.