White Mountains

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

dirtyrice

White Mountains

#1 Post by dirtyrice »

After this last ride and seeing how the hills north of town got good snow I'm considering trailering out to davidson ditch to go into the White Mountains. Seems to me that if the snow is good you can get above the tree line there (if the wind hasn't blown it all off) and get some good riding in. I've never gone out that way before during the winter so I figured I would see what the consensus is here before I decide to go. I'm thinking about going this Sunday since I wont be able to make it to this Saturday's ride.

Any thoughts or advice?

Wanna come too?

Let me know.

Ken

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: White Mountains

#2 Post by john »

I just added the BLM's White Mountains Trails Map to the maps database, talk about timing.

White Mountains Trails

On that note, wind is the issue. I've ridden when its great snow and nice powder and also when its wind blown to concrete. Its a crap shoot as far as what you'll get.

Wish I could go Sunday, but I'll be working the next few Sundays and have to keep my riding to Saturdays :sympathy:

You might find a riding partner at the meeting Wednesday. Where to go ? If your into finding a place you can do some climbing, head towards Cache Mountain, either from the Steese Side at 42 mile or the Elliott side from 57 mile (Colorado Creek). You want to get to the Cache Mountain Divide.

Last ride there was April 11, 09, trail in will probable be hard and lots of overflow by Cache Mtn Cabin coming in from the Elliott side. From what I've heard so far I'd go from the Steese side.

dirtyrice

#3 Post by dirtyrice »

I took a friend of mine from work with me out to 42 mile Steese for a ride today. It was -22 at the trailhead but as soon as we got up top it was probably around 0 to 10 above. Snow was decent I guess, we weren't scraping skis like we did last week at Chatanika so that was nice. Then about 20 miles in the trails were just way too rough due to lack of snow. We made it out to the Cache mountain cabin before we headed back.

It was a decent ride for the first 15 miles or so but after that it was too rough.

usafracer

#4 Post by usafracer »

Looks like there was a little snow. I am parking mine till I see at least a foot or more fresh.