Most snow?

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

irshpryd40

Most snow?

#1 Post by irshpryd40 »

Alright want to go riding tomorrow and want to know who has the most snow right now. I hear Salcha is getting some. I drove up towards Cleary Summit earlier in the week but no luck there. Let us chase the snow it is out there just have to find it.

john
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Most snow?

#2 Post by john »

As a rule, Cleary usually gets the most snow to start. I'll be willing to ride from there after breakfast at Chatanika :)

cleary

#3 Post by cleary »

john wrote:As a rule, Cleary usually gets the most snow to start. I'll be willing to ride from there after breakfast at Chatanika :)

John,

What time will you be at Chatanika? I'll give you a hand with the ramp up here. You coming here first or after breakfast.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

I plan to leave the house around 8:00, hits AIH or Lowes for the screws and washers and then head to Cleary first.
Depending on the roads, 9:00 - 9:30 or so.

cleary

#5 Post by cleary »

john wrote:I plan to leave the house around 8:00, hits AIH or Lowes for the screws and washers and then head to Cleary first.
Depending on the roads, 9:00 - 9:30 or so.
Assuming you have a cell phone give me a call when you leave town headed this way. (389-2594) Other wise I'll just watch for you.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

No riding today. However, with the help of Cleary and moral support from REVITUP and Summit800 we got the 4-122 tracks on the loading ramps.

OK, now we do to do more snow dances, maybe we need an official FST Club Start the Season bonfire and snow dance :needsnow:

REVITUP

#7 Post by REVITUP »

The bonfire idea sounds good, we should talk about it at the meeting. Maybe a post-Thanksgiving/bring leftovers bonfire?!?

evan_d

#8 Post by evan_d »

I know it is REALLY far away, but I was down in Turnagain last weekend and there was over 6 feet of snow. I am heading down to Petersville sunday so i will report back on it

Evan

john
Administrator
Administrator

#9 Post by john »

Please let us know how Petersville is, Wife and I are thinking of going there for X-mas week if the snow is good, otherwise I'll plan to drive to Seward and visit some friends and ride :doh:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#10 Post by john »

Grouse Creek Divide 121 in

Between Moose Creek and Seward.... I need to be there....

dirtyrice

#11 Post by dirtyrice »

Here is what one of the guys on the Alaska outdoors forum had to say about Petersville. Thats a long drive though.

"'Rode P-ville yesterday (4 Dec). Parked near Gate Creek Cabins and played in the swamps near there and up towards the Reflector Tree. Carving snow nice throughout with somewhat of a base 2-3ft deep. Great first ride!"'

evan_d

#12 Post by evan_d »

OK, here is the update. We rode waaay in, about 25 miles up the road from the parking lot. We played mostly in the Dutch Hills up willow creek. It was deep once we got all the way into the dutch hills.. About 5-6 feet of snow. There is more like 2-3 feet down lower.

Here is a pic.

Evan

cleary

#13 Post by cleary »

For information on this area check out the web site of the Curry Ridge Riders. http://www.curryridgeriders.com/

"The Curry Ridge Riders Snowmobile Club is the club of the Petersville/South Denali area. This area is generally North and West of Trapper Creek, Alaska, which is at Mile 115 of the Parks Highway."

They have lots of information about this area including trail maps.

Chuck

john
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by john »

Made the decission over the weekend, wife and I going there for X-Mas week. We'll be parked (or so the plan is) at 11.5 mile Petersville road if anyone plans to be in the area that week stop by and say hi.

I'm hoping I can make some decent loops and GPS the tracks, they do have a couple decent maps (http://www.curryridgeriders.com/Maps%20 ... Map_sm.pdf) but not much in waypoints or tracks.

As of yesterday, per CRR (Curry Ridge Riders) folks
Trapper Creek Inn was a great place last year for us. We put a 27' in there with power hookup - $25 per night and they have restrooms and showers and a small restaurant. Very accommodating. 121.5 has been doubled in size but gets real busy during the weekends. We rode the E/W express out of 121.5 this weekend. Creeks are still flowing. Amble snow to ride. We have not groomed trails yet. South from 121.5 to Trapper Creek at 115 is not passable as of yet. Going north on the CBT is not passable past Railroad Creek.
So unless they get the problem spots opened, I'd say plan to drive out the Petersville Road.

Hey Even: Did you guys go to Kroto Parking are ?

evan_d

#15 Post by evan_d »

john wrote:Made the decission over the weekend, wife and I going there for X-Mas week. We'll be parked (or so the plan is) at 11.5 mile Petersville road if anyone plans to be in the area that week stop by and say hi.

Hey Even: Did you guys go to Kroto Parking are ?
yeah, thats where we parket