Igloo - April 20th 2009

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

Christien&Shelbye

Igloo - April 20th 2009

#1 Post by Christien&Shelbye »

The wife and I were jonesing for some adventure so we headed down to Cantwell yesterday. Rode in from the first pull off on the right after the igloo down the Dunkle Mine road back into the park. Conditions were pretty awesome. A bit like playing in a massive 7/11 Slushie. The snow is similar to what was found down at Arctic Man just a bit wetter. The road back into Colorado Creek was VERY bumpy and the trail past that wasn't any better. Creek crossings are starting to get pretty wet and in some places muddy and rocky. The rivers though are opening up fast. Our original planned route didn't work out as a very recently used trail dropped away into the river.

We have a dog in the vet hospital at the moment so we may not be able to make it this weekend. Either way you guys are going to have a lot of fun. The snow is DEEP and soft against the South facing slopes. Expect to get stuck a ton if u do any climbing. In the lower gullys though there's a pretty solid hard pack beneath about an inch or two of very wet very dense pow.

Pictures to follow...

Christien & Shelbye

Christien&Shelbye

Re: Igloo - April 20th 2009

#2 Post by Christien&Shelbye »

a few more pics...

REVITUP

#3 Post by REVITUP »

P.S. The snow may be a little mushy on the side of the trail!!! :supperhappy:

paulneva

#4 Post by paulneva »

Thanks. I will keep this in mind this weekend!

Paul
Paul S. Renschen