Tanana Flats

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

paulneva

Tanana Flats

#1 Post by paulneva »

Today was the best single day of riding I have had in the Fairbanks area in at least two years! We went into the Flats by way of Clear Creek and went to the big meadow. The trails were well used. We went back out of the meadow and headed toward Clear Creek Butte by way of the middle trail. There were some pockets of deep snow but where we turned south it got rough and wind packed. We turned again and headed for the north trail. To my surprise, no one had been there since last week's snow!

The snow in every field was soft and at least one and a half feet deep. If you rode the tree lines it was at least two feet deep. There were some tracks under the snow that you could feel as you went over them, but there were no tracks to be seen anywhere!

When we had ridden every big field along the north trail, I had one more field I wanted to check out before we went home. It is out of the way and a little hard to find. I missed it the first time. Going back I spotted what I thought I was looking for. We could see where the trail should have been but no one had climbed that bank this winter. We did! No one had been in that swamp this winter! The snow is two to three feet deep. It was like something from "Snow West."

We had gone out at 1000. I think it was about 1530 when I got home. It took me over an hour to get the snow and ice chipped off my machine. It was a fabulous day! I am beat!

Paul
Paul S. Renschen