Chena River

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

REVITUP

Chena River

#1 Post by REVITUP »

As we came back from the sweetheart run today (sunday, feb. 15th), someone's snowmachine had gone through the ice below the Princess Hotel. The ice is really rotten all through that area with a great deal of open water. There are also some bad spots right around Pikes and holes where we had never seen them before, if you are planning to ride in the area, you will want to be very careful.

polaris800rider

Re: Chena River

#2 Post by polaris800rider »

I noticed that earlier today as well. Why is the river like this? Active hot springs?
2009 Dragon 800sp
2005 XC 800 ported, piped(plural) and clutched!
2000 mxz 700 and 700 summit
1998 rmk 700

REVITUP

#3 Post by REVITUP »

The Golden Heart Utilities plant upriver dumps warm water into the river. The amount of traffic on the river lately, along with a stretch of warm weather certainly took it's toll too.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#4 Post by john »

How about a trail report on the ride.

Since I had to leave early :sad:

Polaris800, not hot springs, hot water from Golden Heart Utilities. I heard (not sure if this is correct) that Golden Heart Utilities is also pumping cooling water into the Chena by the University Bridge causing the same issue that the downtown power plant has caused to the river above Compeaus for years.

We might have to move some of our ride starts to River Park on the Tanana. Sure would mess up the Iron Dog and ice bridge if the water in front of Pike's starts staying open all winter.

paulneva

#5 Post by paulneva »

John,

I'll write up a full ride report with some pictures tonight or tomorrow. The short of it is that we started with 21 riders and ended with 14. It was a good ride. Lots of deep snow almost everywhere.

Let me suggest an EFI Ski Doo for your new machine.

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

paulneva wrote:John,
Let me suggest an EFI Ski Doo for your new machine.
HAHAHAHAHA :lol: :lol:

Good one, keep me laughing all day....

I'm thinking more in the way of a M8 153....

john
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by john »

paulneva wrote: The short of it is that we started with 21 riders and ended with 14. It was a good ride. Lots of deep snow almost everywhere.
Actually we had 24, Roger showed up at the Tanana/Chena junction on the trial and then your 2 friends joined us by River Park.

My engine seizure took me and Larry back and bashley and wife left for other reasons. So what happened to the others ?? Or do I wait for trail report :e_smile:

Summit800

#8 Post by Summit800 »

Now Paul, you know if there is not at least one Cat along, we Doo riders need to pay more attention to our fuel level. Meaning when he runs out of fuel, we can still make it home