Chena Rec Area trail report

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

Darrell

Chena Rec Area trail report

#1 Post by Darrell »

Wednesday Tim and I rode in the Chena Rec area from 25 mile to Colorado Creek cabin which has a new roof. . Back out and up 4 mile creek trail to Stilles creek cabin, out the flat mountain trail to Chena hot springs winter trail, some drifts on this one and up to Angle Creek for a burger. Return to truck on Chena Hot springs, trail thin on snow a few place and now the melt down will be rock hard. There was over flow on Colorado creek 8 inch deep and running sure came up fast on the return.
Chena opening up around the Wendel Street Bridge so watch that area. Sure won’t guess it was -40 a few days ago.
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

Darrell

Re: Chena Rec Area trail report

#2 Post by Darrell »

Here a map http://dnr.alaska.gov/parks/units/chena/chenarsrmap.pdf
what I called flat mountain trail is the red line running toward red Squirrel camp ground. Steep coming off the ridge to Chena hot spring winter trail mark with red and black diamond.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

You been on the trail between North Fork cabin and Red Squrrel ??

Might be a nice trail to explore ..

Darrell

#4 Post by Darrell »

All i see is the Chena Hot Springs winter trail then yes we run that to Angel Ck lodge. Trail is bad where you run along the river at the Tors camp ground no snow.
Trail I would like to run is the trail over to Angel rock (from the east fork of the Chena) and down into the hot springs anyone run that one?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

If we get more snow I'd be up for an exploratory ride.

But not with what we now have. Rode from the house to Chena Lake, the trails, including the pipeline are terrible. Hard as a rock roots showing in places.

Darrell

#6 Post by Darrell »

Now i get it :roll: That trail goes to Van Curler Bar, a old played out gold mine. It was mined years ago, Van Curler died broke after putting all the money he got from mining back into the claim.
http://dnr.alaska.gov/mlw//trails/rs247 ... _NUMBER=46
A fun trip that I made years ago was up the East fork (USGS calls this the middle fork) over the top to the Salcha down to the pipeline and back to town, one over night. That was a fun trip ice bridges, overflow, great trip.