Flood Control Area conditions

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

ObiJuanAk

Flood Control Area conditions

#1 Post by ObiJuanAk »

Crystal and I took the sleds last weekend to the Flood Control area to play around a bit and check on the repairs/recall fixes on both of them. Mainly I wanted to make sure that Crystal's concerns about the handling of her sled had been addressed. The good news, yes, the Phazer FX handles much better than it did on the ride to the Monderosa (Thanks Northern Power Sports!) The bad news is tht Crystal still likes the handling of the Mountain Lite (MY sled) better :wall: So we have tentatively agreed to switch, with the caveat that I get to take the Lite to the mountains if needed :fluffly:

So on the conditions of the ride. Very crusty snow, just barely deep enough to sink in the 2" paddles on the Lite. On places where the snow drifted even the skags were not making a dent! :shocked: :needsnow: and of course the wind blew the whole time...

Anyone know what the trail conditions in the Whites or Chatanika? Would it be worth going this weekend to either place? Thanks!

Juan

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

Jake and I were thinking about going to the McKay Creek trail head (MIle 42 Steese) since I didn't make it to Cantwell.

No time set to go, give me a call tonight (Sat) if your interested.

ObiJuanAk

Stiil up to go to the Whites on Sunday?

#3 Post by ObiJuanAk »

Sorry John, I did not check the forum until late Sat. night. too late to call as requested. ( :doh:
Will check again tomorrow morning. If I don't hear from you we might try going to 42 mile Steese to see if we find you. Will probably have breakfast at Chatanika on the way over.

Hope to see you there.

Juan

Bashley

#4 Post by Bashley »

I don't want to impose, but would you guys be open to a newbie joining along? I was looking to ride this weekend and anyone I normally go with is either injured or out of town, so I was hoping someone on here was riding close to town.
'06 Yamaha Attak
'09 M8 HCR

ObiJuanAk

Newbie along?

#5 Post by ObiJuanAk »

I have no objections, if you don't have a problem coming along with someone that has never been on that particular trail before :alien: (assuming John does not join us, of course)
The more the merrier. Let's meet at Chatanika Lodge for breakfast at say, 9:30 AM?

Hope to see you there.

Juan

john
Administrator
Administrator

#6 Post by john »

I didn't check the site and missed ya. :(

How was the ride ? How was the snow ?

Bashley

#7 Post by Bashley »

As for the ride, it was nice weather, sufficient snow, and a whole lot of overflow if you go past Cache Cr. cabin. While I'm on the subject of overflow, the X-Rays of the ankle came back good, nothing broke, but I will be gimped up for a while. I'll let ObiJuan explain that one, he's got the pictures. All in all I had a great time and thank you again for letting me tag-a-long.
'06 Yamaha Attak
'09 M8 HCR

ObiJuanAk

#8 Post by ObiJuanAk »

Brian,

Glad to hear that the ankle is not broken. Hopefully it will mend soon. It was a pleasure riding with you, you are a sledder and a gentleman. Feel free to tag along any time. As for the adventures, Crystal and I will have a full ride report with pictures in the next newsletter :thumbs:

Juan