Fairbanks-Circle Trail

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

aragorn

Fairbanks-Circle Trail

#1 Post by aragorn »

Has anyone experienced as much of this trail as is accessible? A few years ago I tried starting at the Cleary Summit trailhead and the trail just went to Chatanika Lodge. The owner said the trail went across the hilltops at the near end and was mostly windblown rock up there, so not accessible for snowmachines. I would like to know where the nearest-to-Fairbanks site is to access the trail and if anyone has ridden it from there to Circle. It sure looks inviting where it goes over Eagle Summit and it looked sufficiently well-traveled by snowmachines the last time I eyeballed it a few years ago. While I'm on the subject, is the same trail the Yukon Quest uses for at least a portion?
Peace and thanks,
Dennis
2003 Skandic Sport

COS

#2 Post by COS »

Take a look at this site. It has a ton of local trails already mapped out. I downloaded one and used it to go from Chena Hot Springs to Central one year. http://www.fairnet.org/maps1/
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

Darrell

#3 Post by Darrell »

See the map above (Chena hot spring to Circle hot springs) for what the Quest runs. I have started at the sign on Fairbanks creek road and went to Eagle summit only with wheelers. Best is to use quest trail for winter travel.

aragorn

#4 Post by aragorn »

Wow, thanks! This is the kind of stuff I had been hoping to find. I believe I'll pony up and pay the club membership fee. Fortunately I have a Garmin GPS so this will give me plenty to play with for now. Thanks again!
Peace and thanks,
Dennis
2003 Skandic Sport

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

To your original Q, if you went from Cleary to Chananika, you missed the Mail Trail. As the owner at Chatanika (probable Ronnie) said, the trail goes over the ridge tops, most of it is good, but there is a section about 5 miles after Cleary to maybe 10 or 15 miles that is always wind blown, even on a good snow season.

The ride from 12 Mile Summit south is OK as a rule, until you get to the north side of the wind blown area above. ean and I have always wondered about a ride to get around all that and I know Darrell, Chuck and few others have tried to find one, but usually end up in the rocks or open water in the valleys :(

One of these days it be nice to get a trail around the wind blown area sorted out and a GPS log of it. How adventurous do you feel :)

cleary

#6 Post by cleary »

As John said you made a turn to Chatanika where you should have kept going straight. I have posted DNR's Circle-Fairbanks Historic Trail brochure on my album.

Chuck

[albumimg]864[/albumimg]

[albumimg]867[/albumimg]

[albumimg]866[/albumimg]

[albumimg]865[/albumimg]
Last edited by cleary on Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

David

#7 Post by David »

I agree I can't find the road either are you saying go straight instead of turning, Everytime I go it looks as if going straight is a road does it turn into a trail or what?
I thought the road goes to a Gold Mine clame with a gate and dead ended.
I have looked at all the maps and I don't quit get where this trail is.
If anyone makes a trip up that way I might tag along.
Thanks Dave

john
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by john »

David: I couldn't make the quartz lake ride today, I might go to Cleary tomorrow if your interested ?

cleary

#9 Post by cleary »

David wrote:I agree I can't find the road either are you saying go straight instead of turning, Everytime I go it looks as if going straight is a road does it turn into a trail or what?
I thought the road goes to a Gold Mine clame with a gate and dead ended.
I have looked at all the maps and I don't quit get where this trail is.
If anyone makes a trip up that way I might tag along.
Thanks Dave
You were on the Circle Trail but took the branch to Chatanika, see map below. You also could take the Fairbanks Creek Road to the Kokomo Creek Road and use it to get to the Circle Trail. Just beyond the intersection of the Kokomo and Fairbanks Creek Roads is the gate on the Fairbanks Creek Road you were told about.

Chuck

[albumimg]868[/albumimg]

David

#10 Post by David »

John thanks for the offer. I just got on line and seen your post,SORRY
I probably couldn't have went today anyway, Daughter Van broke down and had to fix it.
Next time I am up that way I will take the map and slow down just a little and see if I can find the trail.

Thanks again
Dave