TRIP REPORT: Mile 28 Wht. Mnt. trail head 24 Nov.

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

COS

TRIP REPORT: Mile 28 Wht. Mnt. trail head 24 Nov.

#1 Post by COS »

Seven of us went. If you were thinking of going on this ride today but didn‘t you planned correctly! We were in the sun though.
We started down the Whites trail system then turned around after 5 miles for the pipeline. We explored a narrow trail off the pipeline that had a STEEP hill climb. Thank goodness for the large sharp rocks under the skinny snow layer. It made for great traction. Here are some pics.

I learned a few things today. #1 Don’t joke around with the 78 year old Don on a Renegade. He’ll take you seriously and do it. #2 FST ladies can ride with the best of em!
[albumimg]807[/albumimg]
[albumimg]808[/albumimg]
[albumimg]809[/albumimg]
[albumimg]810[/albumimg]
COS
Work hard/Play hard
09 570 Bearcat
03 Viper Mnt.
2010 Bearcat XTZ

David

#2 Post by David »

We started to ride with you guy's but when we got to the 28 mile we seen the lack of snow, we deceided to ride the Pipe line instead and that was not a good idea either.
We rode North towards Globe Creek and ran into bare ground and solid ice for several hundred yards, turned and rode South found better snow but still not to good.
I think if I ride again it will be Cantwell or wait for quit a bit more snow here.
Dave :roll:

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

Gotta agree with you David, no local runs runs unless we get more snow. I'm thinking Paxson or Cantwell, maybe Paxson and riding in towards McLaren or Cantwell if they got enough snow, but it doesn't look to good that way either, or so I'm told.

Tillett

#4 Post by Tillett »

A group of us rode the pipleine from Summit to Paxson and then went into Maclaren this weekend, 135 miles round trip. Plenty of snow on the pipline and the Denali.

David

#5 Post by David »

Can anyone tell me how to make a room reservation at Paxson, McLeren or Backwoods lodge for a room?
Maybe you have the phone numbers or e-mail address.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks Dave

Tillett

#6 Post by Tillett »

1-907-822-5444 is the number to contact Sue and Alan at Maclaren Lodge. It's important to remember that the rooms there and at the Paxson Lodge are warm and dry, but definently not 5 star. You can check out Maclaren Lodge at www.maclarenlodge.com.

cleary

#7 Post by cleary »

The link to the Maclaren Lodge in the last post doesn't work as it has a period on the end of it. Try this for the lodge:

http://www.maclarenlodge.com/main.htm

If you want a nice room with private bath at Maclaren get a room in the "River View Duplex". The other accomidations are nice and clean but more basic. We love it there.

Chuck

David

#8 Post by David »

Thanks to everyone.
The Wife and I will get set up now.
Again Thanks
Dave

paulneva

#9 Post by paulneva »

Dave,

There are links to the websites of both The Backwoods Lodge and The Maclaren River Lodge at the extreme right half way down the "Home" page of this web site. I've stayed at both. The Backwoods Lodge is a better facility and easier to get to but it's location is nothing special. The Maclaren River Lodge is pretty basic lodging but its location is spectacular!

Paul
Paul S. Renschen

David

#10 Post by David »

Thanks for the help Paul Terri and I plan to make both lodges this year and we want to run the denali hwy also this year,hope we get a little more snow.
Thanks Dave and Terri