NOT the Rex trail

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

DoubleT

NOT the Rex trail

#1 Post by DoubleT »

Traveled Rex trail to Gold King Lodge Wednesday night. 10, sometimes 15 mph all the way. Broke one idler on way in, and my knees are still recovering. Larry Meade, the owner, said it was the worst he had ever seen it even. Estimated 2000 hunters had been out this year and beat it out. They were dragging their end when I left Thursday. Also followed Tatlanika river to Grubstake creek (about 12 mi). Treacherous. Had I not been on a mission, would have turned around right away. All pretty flat, but you can tell difference between being on channel and sandbars 'cause you have to fly over channel to keep from falling through, and then when you start bouncing off boulders you know you're on a bar. Exhilerating trip :?

john
Administrator
Administrator

#2 Post by john »

Take pictures next trip.. Makes for some good stories :lol:

Darrell

#3 Post by Darrell »

Sounds like a wild ride Double. Do you think Meade will grom all of the Rex trail? and I guess he still is in busness? Have you ever made a trip to gold king from town?

DoubleT

#4 Post by DoubleT »

I did take some pics John, but I'll have to get them developed first to see if any would be of interest to the group.

And yes, Larry Meade is still in business. Not sure about him grooming all of the trail. It would be benificial to his business, but his friend helping him seemed against folks invading their territory. We did leave him with 10 gal surplus gas for the cause. I can dig up Larry's cel # (works outside of lodge building) if anyone is looking to make the trip.

The only other time I've been out there was 30 years ago by helicopter. The thought crossed my mind to go straight in from here, but I hadn't heard of anyone doing it, and thought there must be some reason not to. Like perhaps crossing a bombing range might be a tad hazardous. Was told something afterwards about the craters making for a rough trip. Couldn't be any worse than the other way was, but I'd check with range control first.

john
Administrator
Administrator

#5 Post by john »

Would be nice to know if they are going to groom the whole trail out to the road. Would make for a nice club ride.

I haven't been there myself, so a couple Q's:

What kind of service is available to the lodge these days ? Food, beds, gas, etc...

What kind of condition is the lodge in :<) ?

I can understand them not wanting to get flooded with "invaders", but if he's got a lodge, isn't that kind of the idea :wink:

Darrell

#6 Post by Darrell »

A few years ago I did go to Gold King thru the flats. The hassel is Willow creek it is really hard to cross doesn't freeze well. When Ron Young (trapper) was alive he made a bridge across it but with him out of the picture unknown if it being crossed. I had hope to make a loop trip staying with Meade or at Rodchesters someday. There is a trail from Nenana to Rex trail already. Then up the river. Know if anyone been to Nenana on the river yet?

DoubleT

#7 Post by DoubleT »

The "lodge" itself is small, clean, and comfortable. The bunkhouse. a surprising distance from lodge, is about 18x18. I think he said sleeps 6, but there is 2 sets of bunks with a slide out under each, and 2 rollaway beds, all with mattresses. Big wood stove was too warm the night we were there. LP gas light seemed a little dim. Also is clean and has a table. I think he may have another smaller bunkhouse there too. Outhouse about 100 yards away. He charged 65$ a night per person, includes 2 great meals. No gas. He has to bring everything in by snowmobile or air charter. All a person has to bring is what it takes to get you and your machine in & out, and a sleeping bag. Wish I could go back and spend Christmas there. I loved the way Janet had decorated.

Thinking about what I've read about this club here on the website, I would think you would be welcomed out there.