Let the riding begin Sept 2004.

Where is the best riding to so far this year

Moderator: john

Darrell

Let the riding begin Sept 2004.

#1 Post by Darrell »

With snow on the way riding is about to start so where, how much (snow), and what ever info you got lets have it.

Darrell

#2 Post by Darrell »

I guess you seen this shot of Fielding Lake http://akweathercams.faa.gov/viewsite.php?siteID=12

john
Administrator
Administrator

#3 Post by john »

To dark, have to look after the sun comes up :)

Darrell

#4 Post by Darrell »

Rumor has it! First Summit report is 4 feet of snow for a base and a foot of powder on plateau above First Aid with a foot of powder on top of that. Road into Isabell camp site has a foot of snow on it.

denali wide track

#5 Post by denali wide track »

Hey, CHILL OUT!!!
We've been trying to send you messages about snow conditions here, but not getting through- locals have been riding Summit and Bowl, conditions are dangerous because of fluctuations in weather/temps. Best scenario, you'll wreck your machine (lots of gravel on the roads) Worst case, you'll fly over the edge of the "Bowl" (lots of mushy snow on the mountains) or "land" in Fish Creek. Best of luck, Medevac, far as we know, does not land after sunset. Please give us a call.My wife is EMT and Red Cross.
Paul

Darrell

#6 Post by Darrell »

Report from the Summit Paxson side 10/17. Henri Reports, Unloaded at Richardson Monument and rode in Isabell camp road and up spine to plateau above First Aid, 4 to 5 foot base with 6 inches of loose snow on really smooth base. Rode all the way to tit. Creeks not froze but could be crossed and put on 50 miles.

Darrell

#7 Post by Darrell »

http://www.snowest.com/fusetalk/message ... SGDBTABLE=
See pic of last weekend summit also snowest forum is good for updates etc.

Darrell

10/20 Maclaren

#8 Post by Darrell »

Hello everyone,

The temperatures are finally dropping here in the high country. It was 3 degrees the other day, today it is 12. We finally got more snow to play in. On Wednesday of last week we got 4 more inches and yesterday we got 8 - 10 inches. Everything is so nice and white!

Do not attempt to drive the road in further than 26 or 27 mile, because once you get past 27 mile, there is no where to turn around. There was bare pavement to Tangles, but as of yesterday they had received 6 more inches, so it should all be covered. When you top the hill into High Valley, that is where the world really turns white and fluffy.

There is ice on the smaller lakes but I would not suggest riding on them.

The river through High Valley is not frozen, so watch for that.

Glacier Lake, Seven-Mile Lake and Landmark Lake are still open so use extreme caution around those areas.

The Maclaren is still open in the main channel; it is trying to freeze. We go out in the morning and listen to the ice grinding as it is trying to flow down river. Only the main channels are open and they get smaller daily.

The groomer is waiting on parts, nothing major, but important to keep everything in good shape at all times. So the trails are not groomed yet, the road is in good shape to ride, been there done that!

There are no runways groomed since the river is not frozen yet.

There is enough snow to run dog teams, so everyone be careful out there.

Watch out for each other, we do not want any accidents.

Just to let everyone know, we are applying for a snow grant again this year to help in our endeavors to keep great and safe trails, and emergency services. Any comments or letters for this grant should be addressed to denalihwytrailclub@starband.net. If you would like to join the Denali Highway Trial Club, email us. All of the proceeds from the membership go toward providing safe trails for those who choose to use the Denali Highway and the surrounding areas in the winter.

Alan and Susie Echols

Darrell

#9 Post by Darrell »

BLM is grooming in the white mt.
As you go up winter trail along Salcha river its more snow the futher you go.

Darrell

#10 Post by Darrell »

Chatanika has had their groomer out on the trails and I see pepole been coming in from the Elliott hwy side. 11/11/04

Darrell

#11 Post by Darrell »

Word is best riding is still on Summit Paxson side. Igloo lots of snow but no base and creeks and lakes still a problem crossing and over flow. Road slick to Healy and after Black rapids. Notice increase traffic up Chena from Wendal st bridge and fair amount of travel down past Pikes unknown if crossing Tanana. Noyes slough lots of travel on Illinois st end. So what have you noticed. :?:

Darrell

#12 Post by Darrell »

I was out 11/27 and can still found trails that I never rode before within 30 miles of town. That includes seeing things I never seen before. Like 6 to 10,4 wheel drives going up the road to Coffee Dome. That trail will need a touch up with a gromer.
Saturdays ride was great even with a mess up trail and seeing a Full moon setting over the white mt. That alone was worth the ride.

Darrell

#13 Post by Darrell »

This letter was in the News Miner 12/02/04. A view from another snowmachine user on the trail last weekend. What do you think?

Watch your trail

Nov. 30, 2004

To the editor:

There is a trail located north of Fairbanks that branches off from the Fairbanks Creek Road and has for many years been used by trappers, snowmobilers, skijorers, dog mushers, cross-country skiers and many other outdoor folk.

The upper end of the access road, a section of the old Fairbanks to Circle trail, has been meticulously machine groomed by owners of various businesses in the area. The trail provides a unique opportunity and access to the northern hills, and the recent snows were groomed to create a perfect base for the multi-uses the trail provides; or it was perfect until the weekend of Nov. 27, when the Arctic Off-Road Club decided to go for a Saturday drive.

Ten various 4x4 vehicles, displaying the decal of the Arctic Off-Road Club, chewed and clawed their way up miles of the recreational trail, leaving in their wake a wasted morass of ruts and berms. What had once been a usable track, suitable for limitless access by a variety of users, was completely destroyed by the thoughtless actions of these club members. In its present condition, the trail is ruined for skiing, hiking or dog mushing. Snowmobile traffic will eventually smooth out the majority of the damage, but who can tell when the club members will feel like taking another drive.

No one is disputing the right of the Arctic Off-Road Club to access a public trail, but having the right and doing the right thing are obviously separate concepts. I encourage the members of the Arctic Off-Road Club to do the right thing and go back up there and clean up the mess they made. Sometimes it pays to watch your back trail.

Respectfully,

Ken Sather

Fairbanks

john
Administrator
Administrator

#14 Post by john »

As a snowmachiner in the winter and ATVer in the summer, I can't disagree with their rights to go 4x4 on a public trail.

However, with that said, it's also very disrespectfully to other trail users to tear up a trail that has been groomed for winter sports. A task that does take time, energy and money to do.

So I agree that the right thing to do would be to clean up the trail. I would imagine that if they asked for some help, they would be able to get a few volunteers with drags to work with them. Or maybe reimburse someone with a trail groomer the cost for gas and oil to fix it.

We all like to recreate, we all also know that their isa cost attached to our chosen method of recreation, weather it be for gas, dog food, or trail grooming.

Darrell

The Flats

#15 Post by Darrell »

Dec 27 went to the ice bridge off South Cushman and USAF guys were flooding the crossing so I cruised to the mouth of the Chena and took the trail down past Howard Lukes. Had to stay to the North bank as the channel is still open below Lukes. Much to my surprise no trail into flats via Salchaket. When down river to Rosie creek turn off start to run into overflow. Back to where airboats go into flats, brush in the trail big time. Doesn't anyone carry a saw any more? I cut some of the bigger stuff out no sign that any one else had done the same. Only one trail in swamp. Anyone been there or down river so far this year :?: